Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Not Playing Videos

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Adras

Adras

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:00 AM

I just ordered a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE, which arrived on monday. The reason I got a newer video card than I had was because I wanted dual monitors, which I have at my other house too. I got it hooked up ok and everything, and tested out a game or two, and they worked just fine. I hooked up the second monitor, which works fine as well. However, when I went to play a video from my computer, it froze. Then crashed. I remember reading in the reviews for the card that it had crashed, but if you downloaded the drivers, then it worked just fine. So I turned it back on and went to download the drivers from the internet (after installing the drivers from the CD). Got them installed, and tried it again. Froze again, but didnt crash. Took almost 5 minutes to close Windows Media Player. So I figured that maybe it was just WMP. I then downloaded Winamp, which I use just as much if not more thinking that it just might work. Nope. Froze just the same, and took forever to close. A friend of mine had me download something that just allows me to play a video in Winamp, with audio only. No Video. However it didnt freeze. So I tried Windows Media Player, and it froze again.

Any ideas as to why it is doing this? I tried putting my old video card back in, and it worked fine. The only thing that doesnt work is videos. Online or off my computer. Thanks if you can help, I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:11 AM

Depends on the drivers that you used. Did you download these drivers from this site?: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.47.html

These are the WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certified drivers and are certified to work with Windows. Any other drivers might not be as capable. Also, these are the drivers to use when troubleshooting a video problem (Microsoft requires them before they'll help you with a problem).

After that you'll have to start looking for another cause - either a malfunctioning device or bad driver. To start, I'd suggest looking for errors in your Event Viewer. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" and press Enter.

On the left side will be 3 categories (Application, Security, and System). Click on each category and then look in the right hand pane for error messages that happened around the time of the crash/freeze.

The error messages may be a bit cryptic, but they are of use in helping to troubleshoot the problem.

And, as a shot in the dark, you might try updating your audio drivers to see if that corrects the problem. If you're playing music off the web you might also consider updating your network card drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users