Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red horizontal line on boot and HDD problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ksx90

Ksx90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

HI.

I'm having a problem as of later. Sometimes, when I boot up the computer, a red horizontal line flashes on the screen in the ASUS splash logo for less then 1 second. The line is always horizontal and fixed in dimension. Placement is always on the upper half of the screen, but it can happen either on the left or the right side. Had this problem 3 times, figured it was a power issue since it happened always after a blackout and gaming is fine ( albeit I've noticed a bit of lag in loading, but I think it's hdd related, see down on this subject ) but it also happened while gaming once, so I'm asking here.

Also, my hdd is slowing down, it's a WD 7200rpm 2 tera, but I figure it's just dying since scans show it has >1000 reallocated sectors, so yeah.

My specs:

Intel I5 4690

Moba Asus H97 pro

8 giga ram

EVGA GTX 1060

PSU ENERMAX TRIATHLOR ECO 650W ATX 80+ BRONZE

Temps are fine, under load I have 40° on the CPU's cores and 65 on the gpu ( using MSI afterburner )

Edited by Ksx90, 15 October 2017 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

If it only happens on the ASUS splash screen I would not worry about this red line. I would worry about the hard drive.

'Dying' hard drives can soldier on for a long time, but equally they can fail completely with no notice. For your own peace of mind I would recommend you do a full backup of all your data to external storage as soon as possible. All your data to include those things that tend to be forgotten - browser bookmarks, contact lists, authentication codes for downloaded software and so on.

Once you have done this back-up it would be worth your while to make a clone of the drive. If you need advice on how to do this, see here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Then run the Seagate Tools for Windows on your drive, a free download from Seagate. If you prefer, since it is a WD drive you can download the WD tools from their web-site. Start with the short generic test. If it passes the short test then do the long test. If it fails the short test it is time for a new drive !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Ksx90

Ksx90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

A backup was in my to do list for tomorrow. I'm actually keeping all the sensible data on my SSD dedicated to the OS and key programs, so it's just a matter of backing up my photos, games can just redownload via Steam. :)

For the red line, I had the exact same tought as you, but alas it also happened once while gaming, don't know if I should dig more on the issue. I've had a gpu passing away, and I think it's not an artefact problems. Dunno if monitor/cables/HDD can cause this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users