Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

post fall creator update

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

I posted but when I checked all was gone so I edited .

This always happens - I am using Windows 10 and Chrome.

* I will perform an image after the fall creator update is done & cleaned up.

My question is, should I rely on my initial Win10 installation flash drive or should I create a new installation flash drive after the update, if that is possible?

Edited by PDN, 15 October 2017 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

You have to create a new one, which will not be available until Wednesday.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

You have to create a new one, which will not be available until Wednesday.

>> Do you find the ISO file and burn it?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

Yes, on Wednesday it will available from this link;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download it and save it to a USB stick or a DVD and just keep it handy in a drawer or something. These little installation things come in handy.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,876 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Rocky,

Just for absolute clarity, you don't just copy/save the ISO to optical media (DVD) or a USB drive, but must use a utility to burn it such that the media is recognized as bootable.

I've seen people just do a drag and drop and while that gets the ISO copied, it doesn't make the media it's copied to bootable.

There are many utilities to do this for optical media, ImgBurn, Anyburn, CD Burner XP (which is supported for all Windows versions that came after), and InfraRecorder - to name just a few.

I'm sure there are many for making a bootable USB drive, too, but I always use Rufus.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Brian, That is absolutely correct. I use the option to download the ISO as a file which I save on my PC, then I use either Rufus to make a bootable USB stick or I use a utility that I have (Roxio) to make a bootable DVD. Without making the media bootable, it is simply a file.

I did not mention any of that because I "assumed" that the OP already knew all that, but thank you for pointing it out for clarity.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Can I use the media creation tool because I find Rufus to be sort of hard?

Edited by PDN, 15 October 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,876 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

Can I use the media creation tool because I find Rufus to be sort of hard?

You can certainly try going that route if it's bootable USB that you're trying to create.   In the early days I had issues with that feature of the MCT so stopped using it.  It was very frustrating to have spent the amount of time it took to download the ISO over DSL only to have the process bomb out when creating the bootable USB drive.

I have not tried again since then as I find Rufus to be about as simple as can be.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

I will use your link and try Rufus.

I will use the old Creator flash drive and let it format it.

At your link I saw the update tool and the assistant but no ISO.

Where do I go to get just the ISO itself to use with Rufus?

Do I wait until Tuesday when the update is released?

PS I just found an assistant - is that where I get the ISO to use Rufus with?

Edited by PDN, 16 October 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

I will use your link and try Rufus.

I will use the old Creator flash drive and let it format it.

At your link I saw the update tool and the assistant but no ISO.

Where do I go to get just the ISO itself to use with Rufus?

Do I wait until Tuesday when the update is released?

PS I just found an assistant - is that where I get the ISO to use Rufus with?

I would wait until Wednesday, then it will be a certain thing and MUCH, MUCH easier. That link that I provided is for the ISO.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,876 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

The Media Creation Tool is what downloads the actual Windows 10 ISO file to your machine.

Take a look at the documentation on the Windows 10 Download Page previously provided by Rocky Bennett.

~ Lauren Bacall

#12 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

The Media Creation Tool is what downloads the actual Windows 10 ISO file to your machine.

Take a look at the documentation on the Windows 10 Download Page previously provided by Rocky Bennett.

Sorry, I was confused about the assistant and the tool because both appear there. I will choose tool not assistant.

I read that one does not need Rufus and that Windows will create the stick, is that correct?

Edited by PDN, 16 October 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Yes that is correct. When you use the tool, you have the option to download the file to use later. That is when Rufus is used.

As far as the download goes, it will be available tomorrow, but it is anybodys guess what time. I am an insider so when I see it on their server I will post right away that it is available. Even though I make my own Windows ISO from scratch using individual files, I will download the official ISO for my client's PCs.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I will use the tool and following the prompts, allowing Windows to create the stick.

I will first allow Windows to download and install the update then later will use the stick if necessary to do a clean install.

Edited by PDN, 16 October 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,876 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

I will use the tool and following the prompts, allowing Windows to create the stick.

I will first allow Windows to download and install the update then later will use the stick if necessary to do a clean install.

But the Media Creation Tool does not, if memory serves, *install* the update.  It allows you to use it to create the bootable USB media directly, if you so choose.  If you do that I believe you must still initiate the update yourself.  I have used the Media Creation Tool many, many times and never recall being asked whether I wanted to install the update when doing so.  [Of course, I may just be ignoring it because I use the MCT to download the ISO and create bootable media from the ISO myself.]  See: Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file 

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users