Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Graphics Card - When Is Fan Used?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

If using a gaming graphics (video) card that has a fan - does the fan run all the time or only when it is under heavy use?

Just wondered if it would be noisy when doing work that is not gaming related, such as word processing, or when doing lower intensive tasks such as watching a 1080p YouTube video in full screen?

This is more of a general question not aimed at any card in particular - but if I were to name a card, it would be something along the lines of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-1050Ti-GDDR5-PCI/dp/B01MG15JZS/

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

It's not really something that can be answered generally, because it depends on the video card in question.  The GPU fans on nearly all modern video cards are temperature controlled - they slow (but don't necessarily stop) when the card is idle, like word processing etc. and speed up as temperatures increase (typically gaming).  Noise levels vary.  I think generally though, the days of GPU's that sound like a vacuum cleaner all of the time are thankfully over!

The "G1 Gaming" version of this card does switch off the fan below 60 Celsius, as confirmed in this review - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1050_Ti_G1_Gaming/28.html

It's probable that the WF2 version does as well, and the product details on the Amazon page refer to "3D Active Fan" as a feature, which I guess is Gigabytes marketing name for this.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for your helpful reply.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

I have an EVGA 1060 and the fan only spins if you are gaming, right now it is not spinning at all.

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

I have an EVGA 1060 and the fan only spins if you are gaming, right now it is not spinning at all.

Does the fan spin when watching videos - such as YouTube videos at 1080p?

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

Unfortunately my hughesnet connection won't let me play youtube videos at 1080P at fullscreen smoothly although I did try for 5 minutes. In that time the fan never turned on. 

#7 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Unfortunately my hughesnet connection won't let me play youtube videos at 1080P at fullscreen smoothly although I did try for 5 minutes. In that time the fan never turned on. 

Thanks for your feedback.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

My Asus dual GTX 1060 has its fans spinning all the time, but I dont hear it very much.

Then again my Phanteks P 400S has sound dampening but still GPU fans in general can be as quiet as you want them to be.

A computer is going to make noise no matter what, even in the most soundproof cases there is always going to be noise of some kind.

The card in question however I doubt will run very loud, the 1050Ti seems to be very good at heat and fan noises for that model i see are quite decent.

As lonmg as you run it at stock i see no issues.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

My Asus dual GTX 1060 has its fans spinning all the time, but I dont hear it very much.

Then again my Phanteks P 400S has sound dampening but still GPU fans in general can be as quiet as you want them to be.

A computer is going to make noise no matter what, even in the most soundproof cases there is always going to be noise of some kind.

The card in question however I doubt will run very loud, the 1050Ti seems to be very good at heat and fan noises for that model i see are quite decent.

As lonmg as you run it at stock i see no issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users