Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KF4

KF4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Looking into buying a gaming laptop, searched around and ended up deciding on this: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834861167

Needing to know your alls opinions, and if this would be a good deal. Intend to play Various MMOs (EQ2 SWTOR, etc..) and games like Fallout 4, ARK, COD, basically a little bit of anything.
Thanks in advanced!

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2017 - 09:16 AM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

What games are you intending to play?

Are you planning on using this system for new games or old ones?

Louis

#3 KF4

KF4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

MMOs (Everquest 2, SWTOR, ETC..) and Open world RPGs (Fallout 4, ARK, Mass Effect, Witcher 3) basically a little bit of everything.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:01 AM

Do you have a price limit? I bought mine 4 years ago at cyberpowerpc.com. It was around $1000 and I think they still have some around that price. I think, personal opinion, they're better than the Dell you're looking at. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 KF4

KF4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

trying to stay under the 1000$ mark honestly. Ill check out the systems you suggested, but is there anything bad about the dell system I linked ?

Edited by KF4, 16 October 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

I put together this list on machines from New Egg, the main difference with them having a Solid State Drive (SSD) over a mechanical drive.  While the drive size is about 1/4 of the mechanical drive the speed gain and having no moving parts make them a better selection for a laptop.  If you need additional space you can always get some external storage or a USB device.

The system you linked is solid, but these days I always recommend a SSD boot drive, especially for laptops.

The main issue I have with gaming laptops is very limited upgrade options, more RAM and a bigger drive are about it.

#7 KF4

KF4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

I went ahead and ordered a Dell Inspiron 7000 with the 1060 and 1TB 250ssd. Went with a newer model that has the IPS instead of the panel. Read some reviews and hopefully it works out well.
Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users