Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dell Inspiron 570 4GJJT motherboard not outputting display to any monitor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZeldaYoshi

ZeldaYoshi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Recently I bought a new motherboard for a Dell Inspiron 570. It's a Dell 4GJJT motherboard and I rebuilt the entire computer. Everything is working, I did replace pretty much everything in the computer with new components except for the CD drive. The motherboard is the same as the old one. The RAM is DDR3L 4 GB, the processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ, power supply is 300 wats. From what I have seen and tested on this computer before, everything should be compatible. Anybody got any suggestions before I call it a defective motherboard?

It works fine when powering on. I don't have an OS installed on the hard drive so it shouldn't be booting into anything. It does not beep at all. Everything powers on and starts running but when I turn it off I do have to turn it off by holding the power button. Which with this computer I'm pretty sure when it's not booted into an OS you can just press the power button and it will shut right off.

Update: Now when the computer turns on, not only does it not display on the screen, but the heat sinks will start blowing really hard for a few seconds and then the computer will shut right off.

Edited by ZeldaYoshi, 15 October 2017 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

What operating system are you running?

You can go to the Dell Support and run their driver scan to see what they suggest.  If you are running any operating system later than Windows 7 you may not be able to find a graphics driver later than those for Windows 7.  You could purchase a later GPU with the needed drivers to resolve this issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

ok sometime when you turn a computer on the fans will go full blast until the bios can read the cpu temps.  but if the they don't spin down and are staying at full speed then you probably have a thermal issue between the heatsink and the CPU itself, if this is the case then i would pull the heatsink and clean old thermal paste off heatsink & CPU then re-apply new thermal paste.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

I just realized that the post I made previously was intended for another topic.  I apologize for any confusion.

You have one of two things happening here, either you have major overheating problem which is causing the computer to shutdown in self-preservation, or this computer is failing the P.O.S.T. (Power On Sefl Test).  The power-on self-test looks at all of the peripheral devices to make sure that they are all being recognized and working properly.  If this is a failure of the POST I would go back and check every connection and make sure all cards (RAM, GPU, audio, etc.) are properly seated.

When you installed the CPU heatsink and fan assembly did you apply a thin layer of thermal compound or a thermal pad between the CPU and the heatsink?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users