Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New spammer tricks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

I use Thunderbird for my emails and I have email accounts with GMX which was taken over by 1&1 which seems to have a very good anti spam system

Only over the last few months I have noticed a new trick spammers have started using to defeat the system

I find that the best way to register an email sender as a spammer is to go to the online version of GMX and do it there since doing it within Thunderbird doesn't stop it at source

Their trick is quite simple. They date each email for an earlier time. At the moment they are using dates in Jan 2016 and now I'm getting 16 a day

I sought help from GMX but their response was very general and told me to set up rules/filters but I could find none that were relevant to cover such emails from earlier dates 

Using the normal method which seem to work fine for other spams has no effect. They just keep coming

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they found a solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

Deletion works for me.  I use a webmail account and then review all contents...semd the ones I want to my webmail iInbox...then download from that Inbox to my Thunderbird client on my system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users