Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My headset's mic turns off while playing games on my PC only

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

I've tried multiple headsets on the same PC (2 HyperX Cloud IIs and a Turtle Beach X12) and the only PC that has the mic turning off randomly during gaming sessions is my own.

At first I thought it was my HyperX cloud's USB soundcard but we had a replacement sent to us and it still had the problem.

The weird part about it is it only occurs while playing games, and that me changing my default format under the advanced tab in headset microphone properties makes it work again.

I'm all out of ideas and would be very grateful if anyone could help me out with this.

Specs:

• Asus Z170-A
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • i5 6600K
  • 16GB(8x2) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

If no-one here knows what the problem is, would anyone care to direct me to a place where people may be able to help me?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

I'm assuming you are using the Crystal Sound 3 for you audio.  Have you looked in the Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers to see if the driver needs to be replaced.  If a driver is corrupt you will see either a yellow warning icon or a red error icon.  If you see either of these open the Driver tab, uninstall the driver and restart the computer.  When the computer restarts a never sound driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

I'm assuming you are using the Crystal Sound 3 for you audio.  Have you looked in the Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers to see if the driver needs to be replaced.  If a driver is corrupt you will see either a yellow warning icon or a red error icon.  If you see either of these open the Driver tab, uninstall the driver and restart the computer.  When the computer restarts a never sound driver will be installed.

I have checked my device manager prior and have updated the drivers to my soundcard multiple times to no avail

Edited by aVeryConfusedMan, 15 October 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

You originally had  posted the following for post #4 before you edited your post.

[quote]I've not got Cystal Sound 3 installed, is that important? The motherboard came with Realtek[/b]

The Crystal Sound 3 is integrated with your motherboard.  Unless you have installed a dedicated sound card this is what you should have installed.

Please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Here are the specs to the PC with the relevant issue:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sAV02dgYgO8LzVYTWn8LbVb

Edited by aVeryConfusedMan, 15 October 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Please post the make and model of your PSU.  The GeForce GTX  1060 requires a minimum of a 400W PSU.

#8 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

EVGA  SuperNOVA G2 550W

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

That PSU should be more than adequate.

Apparently Screaming Bee uses Text to Speech for it's audio output.  If you want to see if this is at fault read this article.

#10 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Screaming Bee is related to some dumb voice changing software that the owner of the PC downloaded on a whim recently. The problem existed before it was installed.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

I would uninstall the audio software, download the new software and reinstall it since this seems to be related to the software.

#12 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

So, uninstall Realtek?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

I would start with the drivers.  You can do this in the Device Manager.

#14 aVeryConfusedMan

aVeryConfusedMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

Despite already trying it before, we wanted to cover all the bases and followed your instructions. The mic stopped working just like before.

We've tried most of the obvious troubleshooting steps, any ideas what could cause this sort of issue that we may have overlooked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users