Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed second SSD, computer will not shut down and acts weird

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shinzy

shinzy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:58 AM

Running Windows 10 with a single SSD. No problems at all for about a year.

Installed a second SSD last night for more space, assigned letter D, got it set up and working, but when I shut down the computer using the shut down option the screen went black with the cursor visible (instead of saying Shutting Down) and then after a minute went completely off while the fans of the tower kept going. They never stopped, I waited about five minutes before pressing the power button manually until it turned off.

Turned it on, and it hung after the Windows loading screen. Waited for a few minutes, tried Control Alt Delete with no results, and had to manually press the power button to shut down again.

Turned it on again and things seemed OK, but keyboard was not responding (it was plugged in and I checked the connection). Mouse worked. Tried to open Windows start menu to shut it down but it would not respond. Control Alt Delete had no response. Shut down by manually pressing the button again.

Turned it on again, this time everything seemed to work fine. Keyboard was fine, could click start menu. Shut it down via the shut down option, but once again the screen goes black with the cursor visible before turning off after about a minute and the computer keeps running.

I took out the second SSD after this to see if the problem would stop, but it did not stop. It still won't shut down properly and still has some weird things happening on startup.

I've looked up answers but I don't quite understand them. I don't know how to mess with the BIOS and none of them went into detail of what exactly to do there. I backed up everything on the computer to be safe, but I would like to avoid having to reinstall Windows if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

Installed a second SSD last night for more space, assigned letter D, got it set up and working, but when I shut down the computer using the shut down option the screen went black with the cursor visible (instead of saying Shutting Down) and then after a minute went completely off while the fans of the tower kept going. They never stopped, I waited about five minutes before pressing the power button manually until it turned off.

Exactly...what did you do to "set up" this second SSD?

Please...be explicit when describing what you believe is going wrong..."weird" is not a very precise word to use when attempting to describe something to those who cannot see what "weird" might be in your world.

Did you try running Win 10 Startup Repair?

Can you boot into safe mode?  Does problem persist in safe mode?

Louis

#3 shinzy

shinzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

New problem: I mixed up things while trying to boot in Safe Mode. in MSCONFIG I checked Diagnostic Startup by mistake and restarted, and now it's on the login screen but it doesn't show my user name and I can't go any further than the photo background with the network connection, accessibility options, and restart/shutdown options in the lower right hand corner. About every minute the screen flashes a bit like it's trying to do something and then it's just the photo again.

The "weird" was referring to the hanging and keyboard not responding, I didn't want to make the title too long. I described everything that I noticed that happened.

I opened Disk Management and allocated the drive (I think those are the right words? The drive was a black block and right clicked). Then I followed the wizard and assigned it as drive D:. I can't remember what mode I set it as though (two three letter acronyms to choose from). Then it showed up as D: on the computer and I could go into it. It had no files in it since I didn't install anything on it. I made a shortcut to it and pasted it on the desktop since I wanted to use it as extra storage and move things off the main SSD.

I do not know what Windows 10 Startup Repair is. How do I get to it?

#4 shinzy

shinzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

Update: I have fixed the new problem with this guide https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/unable-to-login-with-diagnostic-startup-enabled/4b8d15e3-ac9f-4d5a-af76-3ef7ef9a844e

Back to the original problem.

I booted in Safe Mode and everything worked fine. Start menu would open up and keyboard worked. I selected the shut down option from the start menu and shut it down this way. It showed the usual "Shutting Down" screen and shut down normally!

I started the computer again, and it was still in safe mode because I hadn't changed the MSCONFIG for it to boot normally. Checked the Start menu and keyboard, they worked fine. Changed MSCONFIG to normal boot and shut it down with the option in the start menu. It shut down normally again.

Started computer in regular boot, it showed the Shutting Down screen and shut down normally.

This is all with the one original SSD in. I haven't tried doing the same steps to put in a new SSD again (had to return the other one for another reason so this one isn't formatted).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users