Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

time.windows.com is incorrect - Daylight Saving Time starting date is wrong

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ririgi

Ririgi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

Hello, guys.

I'm having a very weird problem. Is it just on my end?

I am located in Brazil and I use UTC -03:00 (Brasilia). However, the Daylight Saving Time starting date is incorrect. I use the default Windows timezone server (time.windows.com).

I haven't downloaded anything different for the past few days. The problem started happening about 3-4 days ago. It was alright a few days ago too, it said that DST would start today, October 15, 2017, at 12 AM. However, now it says it's going to start on the next Sunday, October 22, which is COMPLETELY wrong.

I have still yet to do a scan with Malwarebytes but I'm confident I don't have a virus.

Please help! I had to change the time manually but it's bugging me because I dunno what the heck is going on!

Edited by Ririgi, 15 October 2017 - 01:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/brazil/brasilia

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Daylight saving time begins on October 15th 2017.  Daylight saving time ended previously on February 19th 2017.

Depending on how old this computer is there is a chance that you need to replace the CMOS battery.  This is one of the things which could be responsible for this settings change.

Go to Daten and Time in the control and try resetting the date and time.  If the time changes after this you will need to replace the CMOS battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ririgi

Ririgi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Apparently it's not the CMOS battery. Might be a virus. I'm actually running a dual boot system and my brother's Windows is completely fine. So apparently either my registry is messed up or I have a virus.

I tried changing the NTP server and it was still the same, so it wasn't a problem with time.windows.com.

Keep in mind that several days ago everything was normal, then it suddenly changed. I haven't even installed any new programs. Bizarre. Running Malwarebytes now, but it's gonna take a while. I might run Rootkit scans and whatever lol. I hope this is solved. It's a minor problem but since it happened it means that something else is wrong.

Thanks for responding.

Edited by Ririgi, 15 October 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

If you are going to start running security scans this topic will need to be moved to the Am I Infected, What Do I Do? forum.  These scan can not be used in the Windows forums.  I would also suggest that you run scans which are acceptable in this forum, this means that you need to have someone who is knowledgeable in these programs to provide you with a list of scans along with download and run instructions for these applications.  If you are going to start running scan without supervision I will not be willing to go any further with this topic.  This topic only has two posts by you, and the last one is taking this topic sideways rather than a logical progression.  It would appear that you are guessing what to do here.  If you wish to run these scans to determine if the problem is the result of malware and are willing to follow instructions I will help you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ririgi

Ririgi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

I am willing to follow instructions, but I was just wondering if it was malware or something because others don't have this problem, not even my friends who live in the same country. I don't really think I'm infected to be honest, but there's something going on.

Anyways, I wasn't the only poster in this thread, but... this seems to be a rare problem I'm not sure if something will even be found. It's just a minor problem but I was wondering why it happened so suddenly. It will probably get fixed October 22 (the date DST is supposed to start according to Windows) though. Sorry if I did something wrong?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,306 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Did you trying resetting the Date and Time in the Control Panel?

There are several things which could be responsible for the clock failing to stay current.  A failing CMOS batter is one of the first things to look into.  This battery cost ~$4.95 on Amazon.  It would worth the cost just to be sure that this is or isn't the cause of these time and date changes.  If this isn't the problem we can scratch that off the list and move on, but it should be the first thing done here after resetting the time and date in the Control Panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users