Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-keyloggers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

Seems most AV's don't do a very good job of detecting or preventing key-logger activity.

At least that's what I read.

So from the many anti-keyloggers that prevent rather than remove, which can be recommended.

Preferably free.

My current AV's:

On demand: Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Zemana, SuperASW

Active: Avira

My OS is Windows 10 (64).

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Evolution13

Evolution13

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

There are a lot of keyloggers that are legal, legitimate software. Anti-malware programs purposely ignore them, I've tried to ask if there's a program specifcally for detecting keyloggers no matter the source, because legal keyloggers are often abused, but I have yet to find an answer.

Edited by Evolution13, 15 October 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Not sure if this addresses the question, but I tried this some time ago out of curiosity, it takes some steps described in the downloaded (safe) utility:

https://www.komando.com/downloads/482/find-out-if-programs-are-recording-your-every-keystroke/all
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Keyloggers are surveillance software programs known for monitoring your keystrokes, capturing information and transmitting what they capture over your Internet connection. However, some keyloggers can capture screens and take snapshots while others may turn on video/audio recorders and transmit that information.

As noted by Evolution13, not all keyloggers are malicious or dangerous. Many keylogging, surveillance and monitoring programs can have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user, business IT tech, employer or administrator has knowingly installed them.

• Keyloggers can be used by system administrators to troubleshoot networks.
  • Keyloggers can be used by employers to monitor employees, track performance and ensure they are abiding by company policies.
  • Keyloggers can be used by law enforcement to analyze and track incidents linked to the use of computers subject to an ongoing investigation.

Even a parent may use a keylogging program to record their children's online activities or a suspicious spouse might install one to keep track of their partner. It's the misuse of a keylogger (and similar software tools) that makes it's action malicious rather than the keylogger itself. Thus, security scanners may not detect all types of keylogging programs.

When legitimate keylogging programs are detected by anti-virus or anti-malware scanners, they are typically identifid as a "risk Tool" or "suspicious" due to its functionality, behavior and potential misuse by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you, automatically remove them or in some cases may just ignore the keylogger due to the possibility of legal issues resulting from detecting a legitimate program.

Zemana AntiLogger offers keystroke logging protection with real-time protection and more.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

If Zemana was mentioned it's time to say about SpyShelter

https://www.spyshelter.com/

Edited by ichito, 16 October 2017 - 02:50 AM.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#6 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

If Zemana was mentioned it's time to say about SpyShelter

https://www.spyshelter.com/

And from all those mentioned, Spyshelter is the best one in my opinion (and my tests).

Emsisoft Community Manager

#7 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

Zemana is not great mainly because the GUI is so simple & it is not primarily an anti-keylogger.

AFAIK Zemana is also an on demand product.

Spyshelter free is no longer available so even if it is "better", there is a price to pay.

Maybe anti-keyloggers are not considered so important in the overall security picture?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

I personally have never found the need to use any Anti-Keylogger tools. However, I see nothing wrong if someone wants to add keystroke protection software to their security tool kit.

A couple more tools to consider.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users