Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk read error

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 EvilJ

EvilJ

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have a spare SATA hard drive hooked up to use as a backup medium for my primary Windows drive, this is the drives only purpose. In the BIOS, the Windows drive is set as first priority, but if I try to boot with the backup drive, it gives a disk read error Right after POST and to restart the system.

If I disconnect the backup drive and boot into Windows 7, THEN connect the drive, it shows up and functions just fine, I can even set the computer to sleep or hibernate and it will resume normally with the drive attached. Have already tried switching all drive SATA ports. All drives pass diagnostic tests and return that SMART is functioning correctly, so I am at a loss of what's going on, it's pretty inconvenient to have to disconnect the drive any time a full reboot is required

Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev. 1.x)

CPU:   FX-8350
Primary drive: Kingston SSD 250GB

Storage drive: WD 3TB

Storage drive: WD 1.5TB

Backup drive: Samsung 250GB

Edited by EvilJ, 14 October 2017 - 06:34 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Please post an image of Disk Management with all drives attached. Which HDD is the one giving the problem, the 1.5TB or the 3TB?

#3 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

It's the Seagate 250GB 5400RPM drive (Disk 3, F:)

https://imgur.com/a/CUbUX

Edit: Excuse me, it's Samsung, not Seagate

Edited by EvilJ, 14 October 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

I'm at a loss on this, sorry. I though perhaps there was still a boot partition on the drive or it may have been marked as active but I see nothing that would prevent the computer from booting with that drive attached. 

Have you tried connecting a different power connector from the PSU to the drive. What happens if you disconnect one of the other HDDs, data and power, while keeping the F drive attached. Does the computer boot normally?

#5 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

Leaving the problem drive attached and disconnecting the 1.5TB drive, the system stays on "Loading operating system" after POST, disconnecting the 3TB drive, the system boots

So the system will boot if the Samsung or 3TB drive are disconnected, yet all diagnostic software still says everything is peachy... This site is aptly named lol

Edited by EvilJ, 14 October 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

I think the problem revolves around the PSU but that is just a guess. 

#7 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Reasoning?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

When you removed a couple of the drives it would boot. Try this. Only connect the 1.5TB drive and the F backup drive. Does it boot? 

#9 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

With only the F: and 3TB drive attached, it just stays on "Loading operating system" but never actually gets to the desktop, with F: and 1.5TB drive attached it boots. With F: disconnected, and both 1.5TB and 3TB attached, it boots

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, that's strange. Does it make any difference switching connectors from the PSU. Connect both the F and 3tb drive but use the power connector from the 1.5TB drive for the 3TB drive and also take the sata data cable from the 1.5TB drive and use it for the 3TB.

I really am at a loss on this. Is the 3TB drive on the SATA 0 port? The drive is GPT because of the 3TB capacity but it may confuse the computer if attached to SATA 0.

#11 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

I've tried using the different connections, both power and data, I even tried using different cables, all with the same result. Currently the 1.5TB drive is one port 0, but I've tried all drives on all ports

Guess I'll just get a SATA III to USB 3.0 cable and only bother with the F: drive when actually doing the backup lol

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, that makes sense but I really don't understand what is happening. Maybe somebody will jump in if they have run into this problem before. 

#13 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

I hope so, because it's not making any sense to me

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

With all drives attached open an elevated command prompt and type

bcdedit

Look for anything regarding partitions other than C:

I don't think there will be any other partitions listed in the BCD but that's all I've got. 

#15 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

https://imgur.com/a/Lw9NL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users