Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop was infected prior to being given to me...Ransomware/ Kies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KerryJo2712

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hello there,

Thank you in advance. OK....I inherited this laptop and after becoming aware that the laptop was streaming audio and video over shared wi-fi I took the laptop to PC World and they confirmed the laptop has been hacked. 

The camera and the microphone where open and streaming, the screen was being shared via skype and all email accounts had subsequently been hacked, there was also a keylogger running.

After discovering the laptop was hacked I spoke to the person who gave it to me and they remembered a pop up asking them to pay money to a certain account as the contents of the pc had been sent to the authorities.

I then thought back to when I first got the laptop and aeroplane mode was locked and I was unable to access the internet....after googling the problem I managed to unlock the laptop and disable aeroplane mode, I checked all the sharing permissions of the folders and unchecked any boxes hit apply and I then thought the laptop was fine to use. Until my discovery. I then found there was a principal administrator controlling the laptop and the local user (me) had what looked like administrator privileges but not quite.

The last few days I have been trying to clean the laptop via Bleeping Computer and I have run several of your tools, Rkill, Unhide, Malwarebytes Cybereason and Secunia PSI ......I had 1003 threats according to Malwarebytes and I quarantined them....I am hoping to learn more about this and I am interested in your courses but at the moment I am hoping that someone could please help me as I now don't know how to check if the laptop is clean.

The battery pack gets very hot and I always have to have the laptop plugged in....which sets alarm bells ringing as it would seem that someone wants there to be a constant power supply to the laptop to ensure no down periods.

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,763 posts
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

You should definitely reformat and reinstall the Windows OS. If you need help doing that post in the appropriate forum for the Windows OS that is presently installed.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 KerryJo2712

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Thank you Buddy, I've reposted in Windows 10 support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users