Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection/restricted unknown network

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 johannesdoe

johannesdoe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hey everybody,

I'm having a problem with a computer of an acquaintance of mine.
I'm normally the go to guy for people in my surrounding when it comes to problems but with this one I'm at a loss.

Maybe I'm overlooking a simple solution or maybe someone of you has the holy grail to fix this.

First some specs:

Dell XPS 720 with a broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Windows 10 pro 64bit version 1703
intel core2quad 2.4Ghz
4GB

The problem:

It started 3-4 weeks ago.
Troubles with internet, bad connection. Went on for a couple of days, owner contacted ISP, they replaced some cables and the modem and everything was fine again, for 2 weeks.
After 2 weeks no connection could be made again. Internet connection shows it's connected to an unknown network with no connection.

This is where I come in.

Not an unusual problem, seen it before and normally not a problem to fix. Most of the times even a simple full reboot helps.
This time, it is not. I tried a couple of things at the owners home, and then took it to my home to try to see if there is still something wrong in his network (Although other devices are working properly)

The things I tried (In no particular order)

Clean boot
Driver update/deleting driver and reinstalling
Disabling IPv6
Removing the security suite (avast premier, but with the looks of avg and in name of avg as a manufacturer. Never have seen it this way, but seeing avg and avast are one since a while I assumed this wasn't strange)
Reset windows firewall
Let windows try to solve the problem
Let windows reset all network settings
Setting a manual IP address
Tweaking AIO repair network

The following command prompts
 -ipconfig /flushdns
 -netsh
winsock reset catalog
 -netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
 -ipconfig /release
 -ipconfig /renew  This gives the following error . An error occurred while renewing interface ethernet :  An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.
System restore to a point it was still working
Scanned with adwcleaner. Set the settings to reset winsock, tcp/ip, firewall. It removed some solvusoft elements.
Installed a wireless adapter since I assumed the integrated network card could be defective. Same results, It connects to my router but no internet access and an unknown network.
Safe mode with network, same result
Tried a live disc to verify the network card did work (It does)

I think that's the list.
I can't think of anything else at this moment besides a full reinstall. And seeing as this is a software problem, I not willing to take the easy way out! It should be fixable!
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Edited by johannesdoe, 14 October 2017 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Can you connect using Safe Mode with Networking?  Sometimes a powercycle would resolve a Ethernet problem but you stated the same issue on Wifi. 

For a powercycle remove the power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Reboot. 

Edit: Does a phone connect to the Wifi network?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#3 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Powercycle does not work.
Safe mode with networking does not work.
Both networks work fine with other wired and wireless devices.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

Try the following. Use the Ethernet connection for this. Download Linux Mint 18.2. I'm hoping the kernel has the appropriate drivers for the Ethernet chipset. Burn the iso to a DVD and boot. Do not input anything during the boot process. Wait till you are at the desktop of Mint. Click on menu button > Internet icon. If you cannot connect then install the Wifi card if not installed and boot Mint again. It should detect the Wifi network and ask for a password. The network icon will be in the lower left of the desktop next to the speaker icon.

If you can connect then I think your are looking at a reinstall of Windows 10.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#5 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Already booted with hirens bootdisc.

Internet does work in that scenario.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

Hirens may not have the appropriate driver for the Ethernet or Wifi chipset. Hirens is an old rescue disk dating back to XP days. I would try Mint if you have the time.

#7 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

I don't know in what direction you are heading?

It works with hiren. I have internet. I have confirmed the network card DOES work with hiren.
What is the use to verify it again with another live disc? I have several linux bootmedia so it's not an issue to test, but I'm not seeing the use in this case?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Sorry, I misread your post. I though Hirens did not connect. If Hirens connected then I think you will need to either do a reset with the option to keep files or backup all personal data and do a complete clean install. All programs will need to be reinstalled no matter which method is used.

Was this an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#9 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Yes, it has been upgraded from windows 7 if I remember correct, but a long time ago.

The 1703 update was also installed a couple of months ago (I know several people that got the 1703 update pushed just a week or 2-3 ago :mellow:)

Edited by johannesdoe, 14 October 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

If this was an upgrade I would strongly recommend doing a clean install using the Media Creation Tool to get the latest build. Select the iso option and either use it to burn a DVD or a USB flash drive using Rufus.

Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column?

#11 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

Why use rufus?

The media creation tool has a built in option to create a bootable flash drive.

Is there any benefit in using rufus?

But if reinstalling is going to be the only solution, the owner is planning on buying a new computer.
It's a second hand one given by a family member, it's a massive case (the entire computer weighs in at 25.5KG) it's 10 years old and he's afraid components will fail.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

People on the board have had issues using the USB created by the Media Creation Tool. The iso file would also allow you easily create additional media if needed.

But if reinstalling is going to be the only solution, the owner is planning on buying a new computer.
It's a second hand one given by a family member, it's a massive case (the entire computer weighs in at 25.5KG) it's 10 years old and he's afraid components will fail.

Then I would recommend the new computer. I can see where you have issues using a 10 year old computer with Windows 10. Each major update of Windows 10 has the opportunity to render a device driver not functional.

#13 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Ah, never had a problem creating a bootable flashdrive with the MCT. Good to know if a problem might finds it way to me.

Yes, although it was no major update this time that messed it up.
It's sad it's the internet that is the problem otherwise I could see in a couple of days of an upgrade to the newest version would solve the issue. But I don't think it's possible to perform the inplace upgrade as it usual does without an active internet connection.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

I think the only option would be a complete clean install after backing up all personal data. Because Windows 10 was an upgrade for either Windows 7 or 8 the computer has a digital license stored on Microsoft servers. You would do the clean install and at the screen asking for a key click next. Windows 10 would load the correct LAN drivers during install and automatically activate the install.

Edit: I completely forgot about another possible solution.  Look at the DISM command here.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

doing a sfc /scannow at the command prompt may also fix missing or corrupt system files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#15 johannesdoe

johannesdoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hmm, didn't think of dism and sfc either as I was completly focussed on the network part.
Will try that tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users