Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Windows Vista to Windows 7. DVD drive doesn't boot windows install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Can use some help.  I am helping a friend upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7.  I have backed up all the data from the Vista computer but when I choose the computer to boot from the Windows 7 Disk it sits for awhile and then goes back into booting Windows Vista.  The computer is a HP with plenty of resources.  I would think it should at least boot into the Windows 7 Installation Disk.  For some reason it doesn't.

I do have a external drive that I can use.  Can I copy the contents of the Windows 7 installation disk and then use the installation files that I copied to install Wndows 7.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Is the optical drive set as the first boot device in BIOS? 

What is the model number of the HP? 

I had a Vista laptop that needed a BIOS update before upgrading to Windows 7.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

With the serial number of the HP system we would be able to zero in on all the details about it (and still know the model).

Where did you get this "Windows 7 disc" - is it a genuine Windows 7 installation CD/DVD that you have used on some other system in the past, did you make it, borrow it, buy it, etc.

Have you verified that the CD/DVD is bootable in another system (you don't have to "do" anything - just see it it boots).

What testing have you done for the CD/DVD drive on the Vista system - it is a CD/DVD drive in the Vista system, right?

Are you able to launch/run the Setup.exe on the Windows 7 disc:

[attachment=198787:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 14 October 2017 - 04:14 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users