Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can one clone a usb attached HD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

My sister has a WinXP desktop w/ 1 internal HD. We would like to back it up to a new ext HD to protect legal documents already backed up to another ext HD that is getting old. We are not sure how long before WinXP will crash the next time she boots up and organization is not her middle name, so I'm concerned we won't be able to find all the pertinent files - .docs and .jpg and.html and her email archive - scattered all over the HD. Her previous BU method was just copying over to her ext HD - she didn't use a BU program. I don't think there's a chance we could install a clone program on the old dinosaur, but I thought a clone or a disc imaging program [I'm not sure of the difference] would just get everything and we could sort thru later to ID the files we want.

She currently has a Win 8.1 laptop and I wondered if there was a program that we could take out her winxp HD and attach it via a USB cable to her laptop and clone/disk image that way. Is there such a program and do I want a clone or a disk image program? Is there some backup program that would ID and BU all user files - that would get her desktop files/folders, her outlook mail, firefox bookmarks, etc from an ext volume that doesn't require cloning if that's not possible?

Can you boot into WinXP on a 8.1 machine from an ext HD if we are able to make a bootable disc image/clone? We could partition her win 8.1 theoretically and use one partition for winxp - she doesn't have any personal files yet on the win8.1. I'm a Mac user now and neither of us are thrilled about having to read too much about 8.1 She was really disappointed in the laptop - we're not sure yet if it's a lemon. I've been carrying around a win8.1 book for months now and failing to read it.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

You do not want to clone the disk but create a complete disk image to the USB external drive. Imaging programs will copy only the data on the disk and create an image file which can be restored or mounted as a virtual drive which would allow you to explore and copy any file out of the image. All the following programs also allow you to create bootable media and restore the image on the USB hard drive to a new drive.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Free

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei and Easeus are easier to work with and also allow file/folder backups to an image file. Easeus is more intuitive when selecting files and folders as all files and folders can be selected from one window.

She currently has a Win 8.1 laptop and I wondered if there was a program that we could take out her winxp HD and attach it via a USB cable to her laptop and clone/disk image that way. Is there such a program and do I want a clone or a disk image program?

Yes, you can remove the drive from the XP computer and attach via a USB adapter to image the drive but it will be slower. You can always verify the image after it completes to make sure it is not corrupted.

Is there some backup program that would ID and BU all user files - that would get her desktop files/folders, her outlook mail, firefox bookmarks, etc from an ext volume that doesn't require cloning if that's not possible?

The above free programs cannot ID all user files. Those are usually in the Documents and Settings folder on XP unless the files were specifically downloaded to some other location on the drive.

Can you boot into WinXP on a 8.1 machine from an ext HD if we are able to make a bootable disc image/clone? We could partition her win 8.1 theoretically and use one partition for winxp - she doesn't have any personal files yet on the win8.1. 

No, you cannot boot XP on a 8.1 computer. The image created from the attached XP drive will be bootable once it is restored either to the original drive or to a new drive. And again, if you install the imaging program to the 8.1 computer it will be able to mount the XP image to a virtual drive where you can explore and copy any file from the image on the USB external drive to the drive of the 8.1 computer.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Thanks JohnC_21

I'm not sure I quite get it yet. I want to make a disk image on the ext HD using the recommended software w/ her internal HD removed and connected via USB. This image will not be bootable from her 8.1 machine like I can boot into my ext LaCie w/ the bootable disk image of my mac from my mac, but I could partition her 8.1 machine and use one partition to restore the image on the ext HD - if win xp can handle the hardware on the 8.1 computer. I guess a better idea would be to make the image, reinstall her internal HD in the winxp machine, format it and then restore the image. Then hopefully the system would be stable enough for her to hunt up all her files and copy them to the ext HD. I think I can partition it into 2 volumes so we don't have to erase the disk image until we've BUed all her files. I don't understand about virtual drives.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

Is there anything to prevent installing the imaging software on the XP computer and image to the external USB or is XP not stable enough? You can remove the drive from the XP computer by installing the software to the 8.1 machine. This would be an image from a USB to USB.

but I could partition her 8.1 machine and use one partition to restore the image on the ext HD - if win xp can handle the hardware on the 8.1 computer.

I'm not sure I understand this. I you saying you would restore an image of the XP drive to a partition on the 8.1 drive? I would not do this.

I guess a better idea would be to make the image, reinstall her internal HD in the winxp machine, format it and then restore the image. 

I would use this method but it's not necessary to format before restoring the image. This is done when the image is restored. In fact you could restore to a new unformatted drive using the bootable media the programs offer.

If all your friend wants is a backup of the data then the USB drive holding the disk image would be enough. In regards to mounting the image the programs will ask where the image resides and what drive letter you want assigned to the image. Once this is done your computer has a new drive letter which you can explore the image as if it was a hard drive but it's virtual because no hard drive exists.

https://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/

https://www.backup-utility.com/features/image-file-explore.html

https://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/mount-backup-image-file.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users