Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Experian - just saying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

I saw a TV advertisement for a free scan of the dark web by Experion that is supposed to tell you if your info is available there. So I did a reviews search before trying it out. I couldn't find it listed at the BBB, but a website consumeraffairs.com had bad review after bad review. People said they signed up for a $1 one time scan and then were later billed $21.95 on a monthly basis. Cancelling was a real hassle. There was a number to call, but they didn't get much if any help there. Many had to cancel thru their credit card company. The Consumeraffairs site says they verify reviews. No one said that they even got any scan results.

Does anyone have any other info regarding experion or are they just another scam?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Most likely Experian is trying to take advantage of the recent debacle concerning Equifax. Personally, to me, this is nothing more than that. Anytime one sees an advertisement for something "For Free" I would tread very very lightly, for more often than not it is nothing more than to dupe you for monetary reasons or for personal info. You are better off steering clear of these kinds of sites. I view them with the most extreme skepticism.

The 'big three" (Experian, Equifax and Transunion) are credit reporting agencies who are in the business of gathering personal info and in turn sell that info to prospective businesses to target prospective consumers.

You should be commended for due diligence in doing your research. My answer..........don't waste your time.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Also, at this point, if you are one of the 143 million or so people who's data was probably part of the Equifax breach (Hi!  to the other 142,999,999 of you!!) you can get identity theft monitoring from Equifax as part of the ongoing PR blitz related to the breach.

It's also simple to put freezes or similar on your credit reports.   I put the following together for a client and actually used all of the individual agency options to put freezes on my reports as part of doing the research:

Equifax:  (866) 447-7559   7-days a week, 7 AM – 1 AM Eastern Time

Online site directly related to the data breach:  https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

Experian:  Security freezes are done online:  www.experian.com/freeze

See https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/preventing-fraud/security-freeze/virginia/ for details on doing so by mail, which is more complicated.

Transunion:  See this webpage:  https://www.transunion.com/equifax-data-breach-faqs for a number of different options you may wish to exercise as far as blocking your account.  I joined their TrueIdentity program online, which is free, and lets you lock (self-freeze and self-unlock if you need to) your TransUnion credit records at no charge.  https://membership.trueidentity.com/

A freeze, for which there is a fee, can be made by phone at 888-909-8872.

Innovis:  Also does a security freeze online.  Other options, including by phone, can be found at: https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

I suggest doing the Innovis, Experian, and Transunion locks/freezes online.  I did all three while researching this and it’s very quick and the freeze is immediate.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

Thanks you two

Britechguy,

Do Equifax, Experion and Transunion get my info when I apply for a credit card or from medicare - or AT&T required my SSN to upgrade my connection? My Discovery card gives me my credit report rating on my statements. I never checked my credit score online because I didn't want to give my SSN.

How do I find out if I'm part of the Equifax breach? Would I have had to specifically go their website and give them my SSN?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

You must go to the Equifax website that I noted and what is requested is the last 5 digits of the SSN.

I will say to you what I say to everyone:   Every credit agency has your SSN, so you're not telling them anything they don't know.  Also, if you see https:// as part of the URL that's being used on the page you are using to supply the information it's an encrypted connection that is very difficult to compromise.

When you swipe your credit card in a store (or insert it in a chip reader) that information is sent over the internet just like it is when you purchase something online.  You will never, ever, avoid online processing these days.

When you apply for a credit card or for various lines of credit or service changes (such as the one you noted for AT&T) the company/bank goes to one or more of Equifax, Transunion, Experian, or Innovis to pull your credit records.   Even if you put a freeze on your credit records this only prevents further queries for opening new accounts in your own name.  Anyone with whom you have been doing business can share or request information from credit reporting agencies in relation to an active account.  That's how your credit record is created and maintained over time.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 Wh0

Wh0

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:49 PM

I'm beginning to believe that most of the security breaches are being carried out internally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users