Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Hosting..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

Hi you guy's.. :thumbsup:
Is it possible to post a pic from my desktop or do I need a host site (Photobucket) for my images??
I know mostly you need a host, but on some sites you can post it directly from your computer.
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:06 PM

You would need a host site, like Photobucket.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

You would need a host site, like Photobucket.

Okie Dokie.. Thanx.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:14 PM

or http://www.imageshack.us

#5 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:09 AM

or http://www.imageshack.us

Thanx bro.. :trumpet: You know, I dreamed last night about this question and realize how stupid it was.. I mean if I took little effort to look around I could of easely find an answer.. But I had few Heinekens to many.. :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:14 PM

No question is stupid. I think you've even said so yourself. Repetition is what it takes to get a point to sink in, too. That business of hosting pictures contains more than meets the eye, really. Its one thing to make a screen shot. Its yet another to do it the way you want to. Each image hosting service on the web is a little bit different in the way they are organized, too. Passwords & access options. How to choose from 3-5 options when deciding to use that picture somehow, somewhere.

Using the basic XP Paint to size the screenshot is efficient... by setting the attibutes, but it is even easier using other programs. Some that work well aren't free, though. More complications come into the picture. Posting as a URL link can bring in variables. Say you move the location of the original picture on your HDD. It's hosted in photobucket or image shack, but lets say you run out of space there. Start deleting old pictures to make some room for new ones. You break the link, naturally. So you want to restore it. But where is it? Posting as an IMG can lead to problems, too. Post one that is too big and the board accomodates for it, but now any reader has to use a slider bar to read your post. Post it too small and it's unuseable...ya' can't read it. Post it as a thumbnail and maybe someone doesn't know to click on it to enlarge it. In some post options the enlargement works differently at the user end, and depending on which browser is being used, too. Some image hosting automatically includes the size of the thumb as part of the picture. Well, that's not always desireable, either. Editing out text or adding text to the image is sometimes required before you post an image. More complications.

Botttomline is that your dreams are telling you something, Notorious. As simple-stupid as it may seem, no question is easy too answer if Windows & the WorldWideWeb is involved in any way. IMO. Just when you got it figured out how to cross the pond, they'll move the lilypads. Count on it. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

No question is stupid.  I think you've even said so yourself. 
Botttomline is that your dreams are telling you something, Notorious.  As simple-stupid as it may seem, no question is easy too answer if Windows & the WorldWideWeb is involved in any way.  IMO.  Just when you got it figured out how to cross the pond, they'll move the lilypads.  Count on it.  :flowers:

You're a good person phawgg.. :trumpet: Thanx for your kind words..
Sometimes I can be hard on myself.. I trained on that to keep myself sharp.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:35 AM

it might seem like a spam site but all most all of the listed services are useful:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php

HTH

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:31 AM

it might seem like a spam site but all most all of the listed services are useful:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php

HTH

Question: Do you use any of these (or have u ever) used any of these image hosting sites?

It does seem a little "spamy"

Edited by scarlett, 06 January 2005 - 12:33 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

Question: Do you use any of these

Answer: yes.

Examples: xs.to, imageshack.us, imagehosting.us

I'm particularly fond of ImageShack. It can be used without registration, but with free registration one can also upload zip packs of images, and delete uploaded images. To be fair XS prodives this functionality less zip uploads. ImageShack does however provide one with a whole host of posting code options (BB, VB, html)

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:09 AM

I filled up my free photobucket.
A site that has added some spam-generation features since I first
registered, in fact.
Now to register you must accept 1 out of 3 deals, or something
like that, to get in.
I had to re-up and accept "online university" related material content
as what I believed to be the lesser of the "evils" in email & viewed ads.

Well, anyway, ImageShack now gets my business.
Free. easy to use.
Like smashmonkey says, several options exist in how you choose
to post (based on where to an extent), and the three options
that photobucket gives you are included.

[IMG], [URL] & [Tag] although not quite as easy to differentiate.

I usually pick the "direct link to your image" choice at the very bottom.
Then I add how I use it where I'm posting.

The thumbnail choice is nice.

Thumbs do not comsume a lot of bandwidth.
You can see them.
Click 'em if you want a bigger picture.
Then the ImageShack bandwidth is used for the lion's share of bandwidth.

Seems like a good deal.

When/if I fill it up... maybe with personal photos... I'll be in the market for
those others mentioned, perhaps.

I've been considering a FTP web hosting site of my own.

Know of any free ones?

#12 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:18 AM

spam-generation features.. you must accept 1 out of 3 deals, or something
like that, to get in.

you should spend a little time exploring these free services

http://spamgourmet.com
http://spamhole.com
http://spam.la
http://e4ward.com

:flowers:

Get what you want via email from those first few messages, they can send you junk and you'll likely never see it.

If you use outlook notexpress to manage your mail then be sure to grab http://disruptor.de :thumbsup: Combine the previous, one of the above, and free POP3 mail and you're set.

--

ImageShack did make an odd change to their TOS recently: you "cannot" modify the linking code. I've been doing it for a while. I wrap the thumbnail image with a link to the image directly instead of to their ad-laden display page.

--

I don't need a web host with FTP and image hot linking since the plethora of emergent free image hosting services but two that come to mind last time I checked were CalmHost and HostUltra. Good luck finding a free host that allows image hotlinking (for long).

:trumpet:

Edited by smashmonkey, 06 January 2005 - 03:25 AM.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:45 AM

Hahaha I gotta laugh!
I clicked the first link, read a ways into it.
The picture at the top kept grabbin' my attention. LOL
Yup, I definately want to use that service. :thumbsup:

So it's after hours here.
I'm tryin' to do a log.
Still chucklin'.

Dang, I need some sleep.
I'll check more thoroughly in the morning.
Thanks, smashmonkey

BTW,
one of my favorite old Stones tunes was "I'm A Monkey"
Yeah.

#14 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

You can also use yahoo photo albums to store and share pictures.

#15 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:57 PM

You can also use yahoo photo albums to store and share pictures.

Yes but I don't think you can hot-link them.. I used to have group on Yahoo and in the beginning you could store and hot-link photo's but not anymore..
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users