Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I seek advice on upgrading some hardware for my gaming rig!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RhysThomas

RhysThomas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

I think its about that time for an upgrade? All these parts were bought in 2014 (Besides the graphics card and PSU) and they still all work flawlessly and never have let me down to be fair its served me very well.

I was wondering if its a good time to upgrade. (Strictly gaming and entertainment computer)

As far i know i won't really be able to upgrade my RAM or CPU unless i also upgrade the motherboard. i am very tempted to buy a 1080ti. as i think my CPU is still not reaching its full power in most games, but i could be wrong as the RAM is pretty outdated also.

Considering if i have to upgrade the Motherboard/CPU/RAM. i would not be seeing much improvement for the money i would be spending. Again, i could be wrong and this is why i'm posting :)

Thanks!

Intel - Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

H60 CPU Cooler

MSI - Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

Crucial - M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard

EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

- Rhys

Edited by RhysThomas, 14 October 2017 - 01:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:10 AM

I can tell you for a fact you will want 16GB of RAM I'm running 8GB and I find I need more all the time.

I Love Lamp!

#3 RhysThomas

RhysThomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

I can tell you for a fact you will want 16GB of RAM I'm running 8GB and I find I need more all the time.

I will definitely be getting another 8gb if i decide not to upgrade the other parts first! The problem is my MB can only support DDR3 and there are limited options for that now. I'm wondering if i should wait on upgrading RAM until a new motherboard. Hmmmm choices choices!!

Edited by RhysThomas, 14 October 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

I cannot see much reason to upgrade anything. Video card and memory perhaps but considering current prices, no.

What monitor you are using?

#5 RhysThomas

RhysThomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

I cannot see much reason to upgrade anything. Video card and memory perhaps but considering current prices, no.

What monitor you are using?

I thought the same thing regarding prices. Its kinda ridiculous right now.

Here's the main monitor i'm using - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BFH1FL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Since that monitor supports Freesync, AMD GPU is much better choice.

#7 RhysThomas

RhysThomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

I don't really want to be locked into any manufacture to be honest, from i hear Freesync just makes lower frame rates looks smoother and i rarely drop below 60FPS

AMD's current top performer is only as good as the 1080 and more expensive. If i were to get a 1080ti being around 24% more powerful than VEGA, Wouldn't that be worth it or should i still go for AMD? I've not actually experienced Free-sync either. 

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

How much are you willing to spend? You may also want to wait for Zen 2 since your computer is still fast compared to modern systems and upgrading now might not be a big difference.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

I don't really want to be locked into any manufacture to be honest, from i hear Freesync just makes lower frame rates looks smoother and i rarely drop below 60FPS

AMD's current top performer is only as good as the 1080 and more expensive. If i were to get a 1080ti being around 24% more powerful than VEGA, Wouldn't that be worth it or should i still go for AMD? I've not actually experienced Free-sync either.

Freesync is worth it so unless you want to buy new monitor, AMD is way to go. Freesync is very useful feature.

AMD's Vega 56 is pretty good card, unless you are playing very old games (anything less than games made for Vulkan/DirectX 12). On new games, Vega is fast as you can see on Forza 7.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

To be honest you are fine with what you have, your specs are still well in line for modern gaming.

The only thing I would do is bump my RAM to 16 gigs so you can have some breathing room.

If windows 10 is bogging down reinstall it as I found that if you upgraded from windows 7 to 10 there are leftovers from windows 7.

Sure you could just not reinstall windows 10  and use other methods to do this but I find a clean install of windows 10 works wonders.

Have less apps running in the background

Use nvidia geforce experience for game optimization and you should be fine :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users