Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What component can be stopping my laptop from booting?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

Ive been having an issue with a Dell Inspiron 7520 15r laptop. I figured that I had damaged the motherboard a couple of years back and probably the processor too. I bought a new motherboard and processor, along with a new battery and other components. After connecting the fan/heatsink, processor, memory, and the screen, I tried to power it on. It actually worked, but the screen had damaged pixels and booted with a red screen. Apparently its called the red screen of death. I had only the above components connected to my motherboard. No HDD. No speakers, NIC, etc. It turned off after about 10-15 seconds, to which I assumed was because of not having my HDD plugged in. Just saw the BIOS.

A week went by and I have tried to start it up again with the intention of booting with an HDD. Nothing.

Nothing works. I am so confused as to what happened. What component could be causing issues. Its a brand new motherboard, brand new processor. I have tested the battery and power jack with a multimeter. I can't figure out what component could be causing the issue. I dont think you even need the memory to boot the motherboard.

Please help me diagnose what could be wrong. I am lost and lacking direction.

I would immensely appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

Have you tried connecting an external monitor, just a regular 19 inch VGA monitor will work just fine. Sounds like the inverter is bad in the screen just replace the whole screen its easy and takes like 10 minutes to fix.

However if it is not booting at all or not even powering on, you need a new motherboard.

More than likely no need to replace the CPU. 

Edited by pistol22cal, 13 October 2017 - 09:30 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#3 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:42 PM

I have just replaced the motherboard with a new one... and I wouldn't need a monitor to test the motherboard. So I am still trying to figure out how it could be the motherboard when I had just powered it on last week. I am guessing the red screen of death was due to the cable to my display being slightly damaged. I am going to rule out electrical interference because I was careful with it and made sure of it. So what else could have contributed to the motherboards presumed death? Doesn't make sense to me given the fact that he had just worked.

Edited by DomMartinelli, 13 October 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

Well....it's a laptop......soooooo if your screen is not working you connect an external screen to see if the other components are fine.

And just because you purchased a motherboard does not mean there is not something wrong with it.

I Love Lamp!

#5 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

You can test the motherboards power functionality by having a heatsink fan connected to it. Hell, even a small component such as a power button with a light on it. I don't think your response is helpful because you haven't given me a reason of the motherboard's failure. The fact that it had functioned days before makes me reluctant to just jump to that conclusion. 

EDIT: I do think it is the motherboard as well, I just would like to know reasons of its failures and assurance, given the fact that it had functioned days ago. 

Edited by DomMartinelli, 13 October 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

Welp, if you connect a monitor to the laptop and you can see the bios then you know its not the motherboard.

You stated in your post the the screen went out. So if your screen on the laptop does not work. You need an external monitor.

And if you know how to test the motherboard and have done those tests and they all test good. Then my previous statement of connecting an external monitor would be the next logical step.

Or, am i missing something?

Or, are you asking what component on the motherboard failed? As in a capacitor or transistor or chip? 

Edited by pistol22cal, 13 October 2017 - 10:53 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#7 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

I am under the impression that you are not reading my posts. You are not offering any helpful advice and would rather appreciate it if someone who had more knowledge in this area could offer support. I appreciate the efforts, but please at least read what I wrote. The motherboard is not functioning. A week ago when I had tried to power on my newly arrived motherboard, it turned on with a red screen of death(probably a broken display cable). The motherboard shut off 10-15 seconds later, but would continue to power on. The issue occurred a week later when I tried to use the laptop again. I feel like I am just reiterating myself. 

#8 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

I read you post. What I am asking is.....Given the issues you describe and the diagnostics you have written in your post. Why have you not replaced the cable? If you believe it to be the display cable which is the following part 

5520%207520%20video%20cable-500x500.jpg

Then change that part. 

But, if that is not the cause then you need to RMA the motherboard.

I am sorry you feel this is not helpful but from what you describe, I would tell you to RMA the motherboard or replace it.

Further, 

Red Screen of Death occurs mostly because of graphics card issues. The graphics driver and the corresponding applications installing wrong files are the main causes of this problem. Software conflicts when computer is booting can also cause Red Screen of Death.

AND because it is a laptop and its GPU is built into the motherboard.......guess what......you need a new motherboard.

No one can tell you without testing the board what failed on the board, why would you think anyone could do that without that particular board in front of them. 

Edited by pistol22cal, 13 October 2017 - 11:25 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#9 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

The motherboard does not power on, please stop advising to replace the display cable. I have already described that the motherboard does not function with the heatsink fan being an indicator along with LEDs on the motherboard. I have already tested with external monitors. Regardless, the motherboard does not function. It is an independent issue... Please stop posting with advice to fix the display. It is not the issue. Not sure how many posts will make that clear. The fact that you continue to post without regard to what I am saying makes me believe that you are posting to increase your post count.

The graphics driver would have started during boot, I can't even get to boot to load any drivers at all. Once again, please refrain from posting if you do not have any knowledgeable advice. I know this is a free forum, but from my perspective you are just creating spam.

Edited by DomMartinelli, 13 October 2017 - 11:31 PM.

#10 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

I quote --- You said, "I am guessing the red screen of death was due to the cable to my display being slightly damaged."

I recommend a new cable and external testing with a monitor

I quote --- You said, "I don't think your response is helpful because you haven't given me a reason of the motherboard's failure. The fact that it had functioned days before makes me reluctant to just jump to that conclusion. 

EDIT: I do think it is the motherboard as well, I just would like to know reasons of its failures and assurance, given the fact that it had functioned days ago."

I do not know why your motherboard failed, without having it in hand and using a multimeter to test the pads of the chips, transistors, and components I wouldn't know.

I quote --- You said, "I have already described that the motherboard does not function with the heatsink fan being an indicator along with LEDs on the motherboard. I have already tested with external monitors. Regardless, the motherboard does not function."

Well sir, if the thing dont work it's broken, replace it. You need a new motherboard.

Im not sure what it is you are asking of me to tell you........

1. Your motherboard needs replaced

2. Why did it fail, no clue bleep happens

3. If you believe a particular part has been damaged, like the display cable.....replace it.

4. If the motherboard will not power on and you know your AC adapter and DC jack are in working order then you need a new motherboard.

5. If it is the DC jack replace it, they are often under $1  

6. If it's the AC adapter, replace it

7. If you want to know exactly what is wrong take it to a repair shop that does component level motherboard repair.

I recommend you watch Louis Rossman on youtube.

Or send your computer to him. https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

It will cost you about $400 but he will fix your motherboard

Or, you can replace the motherboard for about $120

I Love Lamp!

#11 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

You are missing the point by a landslide. My initial post here was to find out what component of my machine could have been responsible for the inability to boot. I most likely do believe it is a motherboard failure. I am not asking for which specific capacitor has failed on my motherboard or what area is potentially damaged. I am giving the context (red screen of death indicating the motherboard functions but display cable is faulty -- happening days before, followed by completely non responsive behavior) and expecting a possible reason to the failure of a brand new motherboard. A nice response would have been an explanation as to why a motherboard could fail after being capable to boot days before. I am not asking you or anyone here to specifically examine my motherboard. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could have given a plausible list of explanations as to why a brand new motherboard would have failed after successfully booting days ago. 

If you do not know the answer, it is fine... but blowing up my thread with useless crap is not only frustrating but a waste of time for us both. My thread now has several replies of non helpful information, all of which could have been avoided if you had either understood my initial query or asked for me to reiterate what the issue is. Now, I am less likely to receive a response because of all these replies being a possible deterrent to someone that can offer a reasonable and knowledgeable answer.  Have a good night!

Edited by DomMartinelli, 13 October 2017 - 11:56 PM.

#12 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

I quote --- You said, "My initial post here was to find out what component of my machine could have been responsible for the inability to boot. I most likely do believe it is a motherboard failure. I am not asking for which specific capacitor has failed on my motherboard or what area is potentially damaged. I am giving the context (red screen of death indicating the motherboard functions but display cable is faulty) and expecting a possible reason to the failure of a brand new motherboard."

My response is as follows, You where sent a faulty motherboard, replace your motherboard. Your motherboard has a manufacturing error.

The reason your motherboard failed is due to it being a bad motherboard........which I said.......which you then said was not what you wanted to know.......now you are saying thats what you wanted to know but that is not what I said.....when in fact I did say, you need a new motherboard.

Also, based on your previous thread here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545090/dell-inspiron-7520-issues-no-display-but-boots/

I would say you need a new display cable and if that doesn't work replace them motherboard.

Further I resent the fact you feel I am not knowledgeable. When in fact I have been doing laptop repair for almost 20 years.

Also, stop being hateful when all someone is doing is trying to help you. As well as making stupid accusations that I am trying to increase my post count, please who cares. 

Finally, in what way have I not been helpful please point out one place I have not tried to 100% help you regardless of your on going degrading and attempted humiliation of my expertise.....assumption you could not possibly know given this single series of interaction.  

Edited by pistol22cal, 14 October 2017 - 12:15 AM.

I Love Lamp!

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:42 AM

It turned off after about 10-15 seconds, to which I assumed was because of not having my HDD plugged in.

This may well have been the indication of a mainboard that was faulty OOTB. Having no HDD connected will not worry a mainboard, and it will run indefinitely without one, e.g. in the BIOS setup screens.

I dont think you even need the memory to boot the motherboard.

That's true, and not having it fitted would be part of the standard diagnostic procedure to confirm whether a fault was in the mainboard or another part. You would set up with nothing but the mainboard (no CPU, no RAM), out of case if feasible, with only power, start button connection and something capable of indicating whether the board has powered up. You mentioned a fan which is probably a good choice as absence of a fan can trigger shutoff, alternatively the status light display PCB. For elimination of fault cause, every test component used must be known to be good. Depending on the board type (a service manual may be downloadable) it's good to have connected whatever delivers error codes, whether audible, a speaker needed, or visible usually via status LEDs.

If the board will not attempt to power up without CPU or RAM, or any other sub-assembly it may use such as I/O sub-board or video card, then it's a safe conclusion the board has a fault. It's wise to make a careful inspection just to be sure something conductive like aluminum shielding tape/foil hasn't lodged anywhere during assembly, or a solder whisker or bent component lead (unlikely now with surface mount components) caused a short circuit after the initial brief period when it worked.

If the board does power up bare, and continues to operate without shutting off (expect an error condition), you can remove power and add other components one at a time, starting with CPU (with its cooler of course), to see which provokes failure to power on.

Edit: you could if you wish, as a preliminary check before taking more complex steps, simply remove the RAM and attempt to power up. It would not be a common symptom to be caused by a stick of RAM, but not impossible.

Edited by Platypus, 14 October 2017 - 02:43 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

The OP stated the board will not power on.

What caused that, or could cause that is sheer speculation and guessing.

The only way to know 100% why your motherboard failed is to test the motherboard itself.

So, knowing what may have caused your board to fail is pointless unless you do component level motherboard repair. 

And while Platypus gave some good examples, it's all speculation, just pick a reason and say yep that's why it failed.

Regardless your going to need a new motherboard based on the descriptions of the issue's you have given.

Now if you have not performed the basic diagnostic tests you should do that, however I am assuming you have and if so my statements made above in this post stand.

Edited by pistol22cal, 14 October 2017 - 12:58 AM.

I Love Lamp!

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

I have seen this before in a Compaq Presario LT.  Actually, it cost a motherboard as the fault shorted the supply from the MOBO to the display element.  It was a short in the display cable that took out the MOBO the first time and its replacement.  It wouldn't even start to boot but disconnecting the cable to the display and an external monitor allowed it to reach the BIOS.  Two MOBOs and a display cable later and it was solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users