Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook, my iPhone 8 & Apps with Microphone Option

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wh0

Wh0

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Happy Friday the 13th to everyone.

I recently relocated to a new city in Florida.

I didn't change any of my information on facebook or any other apps on my desktop or iPhone.

One of the people I work with has one of those names that just roll off your tongue.  (eg. from the WWE, Alberto DelRio)

Every morning I say a general hello and than I say his full name.

The past two weeks Facebook has been asking me to add him as a friend.

I'm currently updating 45 apps on my iPhone.

I went into general settings and opened all my apps to look at the current settings and 7 apps had (had) a microphone option turned on.

I've never used a microphone for any app.

Is it possible FaceBook spied and listened to me saying my coworkers name and that is why he kept coming up on a suggested friends list?

Is Big Brother & the Holding Company getting bigger and sneakier?

Should I have posted this on Alex Jones website?

FB has not asked me to friend anyone else from work or the city I now live in.

I love a good mystery, any theories?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

So I've been on Hirens to see if they have a program I can install on my PC and modify it so that it will believe my cell phone is another hard drive and scan it so that I can see if anyone has remotely accessed my phone.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this, it doesn't have to be free source, I am willing to pay for the product if it exists. 

#3 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

I'd say if he's a work colleague it's more likely you are facebook friends with people from work who will be his facebook friends. Or some other algorhytm that's related to the groups, friends, city or whatever.

Just seen you didnt change any settings... Does that include no new 'friends'? You literally havent touched your FB since the move? 

#4 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

That would be correct other than to open the app at lunch or when I get home from work.  He is the only person I currently work with that FB has been trying to get me to friend request.

I have to believe there is an App Tracking Software, I've found App usage software but it doesn't include references to whom opened the app, just the amount of data it is eating up.

I've killed auto refresh on seldom used apps and have killed the microphone on everything but my phone.

#5 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

This is a parent monitoring software package, thoughts? https://www.mspy.com/features.html

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:56 AM

Hi Wh0!

I’m not able to recommend any third party software to monitor a iPhone, or scanning software to detect if there was remote access to your phone, sorry. Perhaps another member can direct you with those requests. My privacy approach is to stay on top of all available privacy settings the iPhone iOS provides, and I keep the phone security updates current. Like you, I don't want to feel vulnerable that my phone information is being accessed.

Facebook and your microphone button “on”…I tend to believe that the microphone setting was already on. Perhaps not comforting at this present time.  I had no clue what settings each app controlled until I spent time in privacy settings. Some apps used my microphone and camera, others used my contacts and calendar, and so on. I was shocked to see how many buttons were ON!

From my experience owning an iPhone, a huge majority of settings are turned “on” by default. Unless you methodically take the time to look at every nook and cranny within the phone settings, you don’t know what settings are on or off. These default settings can change with every update <as with the current iOS 11.0.3> or with every new app downloaded and installed, so it takes constant checking (IMO)

Steps to take to review privacy settings <Some or all of these settings you might already do>

Click on -> phone Settings button <no particular order below>

-> Methodically go through each item/app listed to make any setting changes <many settings you might not know existed>  <Like what you found with Facebook>

Click on -> Privacy

-> Click on each item in the app list to verify what setting(s) you want turned on or off.  <Yes, it can take some work (with 45 apps!) but I find it’s worth it.>

-> -> with each app you will see a note in grey: Applications that have requested access to your <app> will appear here. Obviously if you see something showing of concern, then you take action.

-> -> below the last app on the list, you’ll also see in grey: As applications request access to your social accounts data, they will be added in the categories above. <Keep an eye on this app list to stay up to date with any new settings>

-> These two access notifications will hopefully allow you to feel comfortable that you're not being peeped on by an app.

-> Scroll down to the bottom of privacy and you’ll find: Advertising -> Limit Ad Tracking: ON -> Opt out of receiving ads. -> Click on View Ad Information, read the information -> click About Advertising which will redirect you to Apple where you can read more information about advertising -> Scroll down to the bottom of this discussion where you will find directives as to how to Choose Your Advertising Preferences (opting out of ads for example)

Click on -> Personal Hotspot

I keep this setting off. If you have it on, your iPhone Internet connection is shared, which I feel leaves the phone vulnerable.

Click on -> iTunes & App Stores

-> In-App Ratings & Reviews: I keep this off. For privacy purposes, I have no need to share my opinions with developers or other users.

Click on -> Siri & Search

-> My Information, if you don’t want Siri to access your contacts, change to none

-> Siri Suggestions, read the About Siri Suggestions & Privacy**great information -> <Personally I have Suggestions in Search and Look Up: Off.>

-> **Look at every app in the list to determine what you want Siri to learn about you.**

Click on -> Safari

Check privacy settings. (AutoFill, Block Pop-Ups, Ask Websites Not to Track, Fraudulent Website Warning, Check for Apple Pay: Off) Note: Camera & Microphone Access is found in Safari too. <I keep mine off>

Good luck mastering your sense of privacy with your iPhone.

#7 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Thank you for your well thought out reply.  The Plot Thickens.

https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/10/25/1816241/with-camera-permission-iphone-apps-can-surreptitiously-take-pictures-and-videos?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

Posted by msmash 

on Wednesday October 25, 2017 @04:00PM from the security-woes dept.
An anonymous reader writes:Whenever you give iPhone apps permission to access your camera, the app can surreptitiously take pictures and videos of you as long as the app is in the foreground, a security researcher warned on Wednesday. This is not a bug, but keep it in mind when a random app asks you for permission to access your camera. What this means is that even if you don't see the camera "open" in the form of an on-screen viewfinder, an app can still take photos and videos. It is unknown how many apps currently do this, but Krause created a test app as a proof-of-concept. This behavior is what enables certain "spy" apps like Stealth Cam and Easy Calc - Camera Eye to exist. But even if this behavior is well-known among iOS developers and hardcore users, it's worth remembering that all apps that have camera permission can technically take photos in this way. "It's something most people have no idea about, as they think the camera is only being used if they see the camera content or a LED is blinking," Krause told Motherboard in a chat over Twitter direct message. Krause currently works at Google, but performed and published this research independently of his work there.

#8 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

The Phone Cracking Industry Is a 'Cesspool'

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wnxkb9/the-phone-cracking-industry-is-a-cesspool

From what I've read App trackers don't have access to the necessary internal components to identify hackers

#9 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

Mobile device forensics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_device_forensics

Mobile device data extraction can be classified according to a continuum, along which methods become more technical and “forensically sound,” tools become more expensive, analysis takes longer, examiners need more training, and some methods can even become more invasive

#10 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

Many of the forensic articles on the iPhone deal with the i4, i5 etc.

From what I can gather a person would need knowledge as a programmer, coder, hack and bottle washer.  I can do the last one.

http://forensicswiki.org/wiki/Apple_iPhone

#11 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

http://www.katanaforensics.com/products/

#12 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

I wish there was an edit choice so I didn't have to keep bumping this.

The sites I visited last night are the reason we have conspiracy theorists, it is unbelievable the information these companies can obtain.

I am wondering though if with all the upgrades Apple has had for the iPhone, if I agreed to a EULA or Terms of Agreement have changed and didn't study them properly and gave someone permission to listen to my conversations.

If someone is following this thread, I'm curious as to how much money a Forensic Investigator could make annually.

#13 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

The Plot Thickens

https://www.mediaite.com/online/is-facebook-secretly-listening-to-your-conversations-this-video-says-yes/

One married couple claims to have conducted an experiment and reached a harrowing conclusion. They say Facebook is listening to our conversations and adjusts their ads accordingly.

With phones close, the couple talked incessantly about cat food for an entire day in July.

“The cat is almost out of food,” they said. “We should buy some cat food.”

Here’s the thing. They don’t have a cat and claim to have never searched the Internet for feline-related content.

Two days later, according to the video, Facebook began showing them ads for cat food and similar products. Creepy, yes, but is it true? The couple, obviously, says yes, and many Internet users agree. The video went viral, accruing nearly a million YouTube views 

#14 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

https://qz.com/1118377/silicon-valley-actor-kumail-nanjiani-is-terrified-by-tech-industrys-blase-attitude-toward-privacy-and-other-issues/

A “Silicon Valley” actor is terrified by what’s happening in Silicon Valley

Nanjiani went on to explain how tech companies often cast aside concerns or questions from cast members regarding privacy and other issues. Without naming specific people or companies, Nanjiani’s conclusion was that “ZERO consideration seems to be given to the ethical implications of tech.” Not only were they not concerned, said Nanjiani, but it was clear that none of them had seriously even considered these questions, suggesting that few people in their circles were asking them. It was also evident, he added, that tech companies were kicking the can down the road or hoping that things would resolve themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users