Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small annoying stutter every 5-10 seconds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Hello,

I have this small issue that is driving me up the wall. Every 5-10 seconds my computer does this tiny little freeze. The main thing that is annoying is it causes the audio to glitch for a fraction of a second. 

Here is the Speccy Result: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NVMPjFceqcOaMpzPH6WzWqn

I can't see any spike in task manager or anything. My computer is a Custom Built. i5 4690k overclocked at 4.6GHZ with a Beefy air cooler on it. I don't think it's the overclock or heat because this overclock has been stable for a while and the Temps only get to 60C at max load. The power supply is a EVGA 600B, so it should be fairly reliable and enough wattage. It happens on multiple audio outputs. The only thing I can think that could have changed this is I recently added a 2tb hard drive out of nas. It isn't mounted in windows since it is a linux partition. If you want me to get a video of this happening I can. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

Any time you're over clocking and have issues the first thing to try is to put everything back to stock settings.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Also temporarily disconnect that HDD you added.  On the face of it, It seems unlikely to cause a problem like that, but you are using an NVME drive, and they generally share bandwidth with the SATA ports.  It's worth checking anyway.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

Worth A Look, IMO.

Louis

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hey,

Sorry for the late update, but it appears it was the failing NAS drive causing the stutter. After removing, the stutter was gone :)

And seagate, if you're reading this, please get your drives together. Nearly every one I've ever owned has failed.

The Count:

2 2tb NAS drives

2 1tb Desktop drives

1 1tb laptop drive

All dead :(

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

I understand that I am a johnny-come-lately to this thread, and that it has essentially already been resolved.

I ran a windows PC desktop system, which I purchased around 2004, until around 2013, which was when I built my current desktop. That older PC included a HDD from a previous PC, which started to fail after a few years - although I did not realize it at first. After a while, the DVD writer that came with that PC also failed, and needed to be replaced.

My experience with failing hardware on that PC, is that failing drives seem to lead to 'aberrant' behavior, that can cause a wide variety of problems -including freezing and blue-screens (at least for Windows OSs). I think it is because the hardware occasionally communicates garbage data to the driver program, and said driver programs relay the same garbage to the kernal of the OS, which simply isn't programmed to handle said garbage data, leading to a variety of OS problems, including "Blue-screen shutdowns" and the OS freezing (or 'hanging'.)

My suggestion is that when troubleshooting odd problems- when the symptoms don't indicate an obvious remedy- disconnecting old hardware with moving parts (especially old HDDs and optical drives), ought to be a standard practice. Of course, this becomes a problem if the boot drive on a system is such an older drive, with moving parts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users