Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Keeps Switching Between Black Screen and Back to Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrew_xxx666

andrew_xxx666

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hi Guys,

As mentioned in the title, my display keeps switching between black screen and the current windows screen. Similar to when your display goes black when you're installing display drivers, then back to windows when it's done, except it happens on a regular basis (every few seconds).

This happened suddenly after I was finished with a round of Heroes of the Storm. Tried several reboots after that, it stayed the same, my display just can't stick. I tried using another monitor (HDMI cable this time, my default monitor uses DVI) and I got the same result. I even tried using the onboard graphics card to see if it was my Nvidia graphics card's fault, but I'm getting the same outcome as well. I'm under the impression that this might be related to my motherboard as my tests seem to indicate so. Hopefully someone can help shed some light into this issue of mine. Thank you in advance!

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit by the way and here's my machine's specs (all relatively new, bought a little over a year, except for graphics card which is only a month old):

CPU - Intel i3 6100

Mobo - Asus H170M Plus

RAM - 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2400Mhz

HDD - Samsung SSD 850 Evo 256GB

Graphics - Asus GTX1050Ti

PSU - Seasonic M12II Evo 620 watts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

Boot to safemode and uninstall your display driver completely. 

Reboot and let Windows install its default driver and see if that works.

If not your GPU will probably need to be replaced.

I Love Lamp!

#3 andrew_xxx666

andrew_xxx666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply but if my GPU is the culprit, I should not encounter this problem when using the onboard Intel graphics right? But unfortunately, I'm getting the same problem when I switched to it.

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply but if my GPU is the culprit, I should not encounter this problem when using the onboard Intel graphics right? But unfortunately, I'm getting the same problem when I switched to it.

Correct, if you are getting this issue then check your cable, monitor, and connections. Also check your power supply with a power supply tester particularly the 4 pin and the 24 pin.

I Love Lamp!

#5 andrew_xxx666

andrew_xxx666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Hi! Unfortunately, I don't see any issues with the cable as both displays I tested are working fine when connected to other sources. I did observe that there was a slight clicking sound that I think was coming close from the PSU area.

Well today the weirdest thing happened, I was going to try to boot in Safe Mode but it seems to have fixed itself! It just went back to normal without me doing anything, the clicking sound went away as well. I'm relieved but worried at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users