Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Windows 7 Pro Key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

I need to rebuild this PC as it's knackered however, it won't boot into windows, startup repair via windows disk fails, I have tried getting the Product Key using CMD from the Diagnostics Tools accessible using the Windows 7 Disk but the command: "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" Does not find the product Key, as this used to be a Windows 8 machine there is no sticker on it. 

I have removed the HDD and placed it into a docking station on my other PC  and ran ProduKey but that failed to grab anything.

Is there anything left for me to try? 

Edited by Steven_M, 13 October 2017 - 06:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

Hi,

Just to be sure using ProduKey you did use the option File -> Select Source to try accessing the HDD containing the damaged Windows installation?

What exactly happens if you try to boot Windows 7 in Safe mode on the original machine?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Steven_M

Steven_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

yes I did do that @produkey

I can't get it to boot at all.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

If you see a Software Hive in Windows\System32\config\Regback use that and produkey. In Produkey is would be the option to "Load the Product key from external software Registry Hive. It's possible the Software hive in config is corrupted. I am not sure if Produkey looks in both locations but it's worth a try.

#5 Steven_M

Steven_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

No luck with that john.

As all our PCs have been upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, I'll see if I can get any of those keys to work, if not I guess I'll have to put Windows 8 back on it.

Edited by Steven_M, 13 October 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

Windows 10 has a different product code which should still be viable.  I would suggest creating the installation media for this version of Windows 10 and use that to run a Refresh.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users