Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell vista business OEM re-install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xule98

xule98

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:54 AM

Hi i have a Dell Vostro 1310 Laptop, i want to re-install the operating system but the COA is slightly wore and some keys are missing, and it has windows 7 un activated installed on it currently. I need to put an activated copy of windows on it vista or 7 any advise given would be great. 

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

I am afraid you are out of luck unless you can find a Dell Vista Business Disk. The SLP key would be included on the disk which would self-activate using the SLIC table in your BIOS.

Call Dell and ask for a Dell Vista Business Disk. They may provide one if you can provide at least some of the COA key. If you plan on putting Windows 7 on the computer you will need to purchase a key.

#3 xule98

xule98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the reply, i understand is there any way that i can download an ISO of Dell Vista Business Disk and do it that way? if i have to ring dell to get a disk from them it might be time consuming. cheers.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

I know of no official iso of Vista Business. You would need to google this but any iso you find and use would be at your own risk. Depending on what you use the computer for consider putting a linux distro on it. Linux has Windows equivalent programs. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 October 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#5 xule98

xule98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

i've had a look around and couldn't find any vista business iso, it will be sold at a shop i work at as a general use pc. i suppose i could put mint on it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

If you are selling it at your shop then I definitely would not use an iso downloaded from some site on the internet as this could set you up for a liability. Put Mint on it and call it a day. Depending on the CPU and RAM look at Cinnamon or Mint. An older version like 17.2 may be more suitable than 18.2 on this computer.

#7 xule98

xule98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

okay good point, i think i shall do that, thanks very much for your advise much appreciated. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Your Welcome, glad to have helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users