Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Up Windows Crudware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasDahl

ThomasDahl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:53 AM

Hallo..  My first post so please be gentle..

I have been searching the forum for help in cleaning up windows 10.  There is so much crudware added by Microsoft that I do not need.

I have read that much of the crudware has been added in such a way that it forms part of the OS.  I am struggling to understand why Cortana needs to be part of the OS when it was not part of Windows 7 and it ran just fine.

Anyway, here is a partial list of what I want to remove:

Cortana (of course)

Edge

OneNote

Paint3D

Photos

Anything to do with XBox

Maps

Mail & Calendar

Messaging

App Store

Anything to do with News Feeds

MixedReality Portal

Windows Media Player

There will be more..

I am hoping that this will speed up my computer and free up valuable SSD space.  It would be even better if a tool exists as I would like to do this on several computers.

Any ideas?

BR

Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Until the 1607 update you could disable Cortana, now you are required to make a registry edit.  I suspect that the other applications you don't want will require something similar.  If you don't have experience in editing the registry and know what you are doing you can render your computer inoperable.  I would just download and run the third party applications you want to use and ignore the others.  You just need to make those third party applications the default programs you want to use.

If you get a wild hair and decide to just start eliminating those Windows applications you should consider the possibility of breaking Windows, this could happen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

yeah, just ignore what you don't use.  best your going to be able to do is delete the shortcuts so they are not visible and therefore easier to ignore.

#4 ThomasDahl

ThomasDahl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thanks guys. Do we really need to put up with this? We are talking about an operating system which is a critical component in modern computing. All this bloat and disruption has nothing to do with the primary function of the OS.

Is it slowly becoming time to move on to a more serious company? This is a real worry. This is not Kindergarten. It's the backbone of my computing.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

Do we really need to put up with this?

If you were expecting a magic bullet that you can use to resolve this allow me to be the first to explain that it just ain't gonna happen.  It is part of the operating system.  So the answer would be yes.  Without out exception there isn't a single person that I know that doesn't just ignore what they don't want to use, download a third party application that the like and move on.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ThomasDahl

ThomasDahl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

Wasn't there a load of legal action to prevent the monopoly owner (Microsoft) from exploiting their position?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks guys. Do we really need to put up with this? We are talking about an operating system which is a critical component in modern computing. All this bloat and disruption has nothing to do with the primary function of the OS.

Is it slowly becoming time to move on to a more serious company? This is a real worry. This is not Kindergarten. It's the backbone of my computing.

And that is what I have been trying to say all along. An OS should be in the background running programs you installed and nothing more. Not something that pushes untold bloat and flashing tiles in ones face though those can be removed. How many people installing Windows 10 has an Xbox or uses mixed reality? If you can get by without Microsoft programs then consider an alternate OS that doesn't do what Windows 10 does. 

Edit: Do this at your own risk.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-remove-default-windows-10-apps-powershell-3-steps

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 October 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

@JohnC #7

I couldn't agree more, an OS should be a platform for running the software of your choice on and nothing more. Unhappily, with Windows, this is not the case nor is this likely to change.

@ThomasDahl #6

There was a lot of legal action around MS in Europe, and, I believe, in the USA about 15-20 years ago but this centred mainly on Internet Explorer and the fact that it was made very dificult to install any other browser. If I remember correctly it got as far as an American judge threatening the break-up of the business into one centred on the operating system and the other on MS's other products such as Office and IE.

But as others have said above, you are stuck with much off the bloat. Just install and use what you want to and live with it.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

Hi, yes Thomas it is possible to do what you want, actually on this machine all apps you want removed are gone and many more as well (inc Cortana).

How you do this is by no means a task for anyone without considerable expertise, and you do need to employ a small powerful third party registry app, not well known or easily obtained. We  do not do this for performance reasons rather it is done for security, all elements of MS telemetry are removed and updates only happen when we wish them to.

I am not a tech as such rather I am a computer scientist with over 45 years of experience, and I was there when the first registry was written. 

You should also be aware that running DISM and sfc /scannow will return some of what you have so painstakingly removed, this limits your repair functionality, and needs to be taken into account. We charge for our services and importantly what we do can be undone.

I have seen some pretty good web sites that will assist you to do this, they come with overrides and appropriate warnings, so a good google might help, it does take some time, and BTW will need to be repeated after the creators (fall) update, and require some changes which we have already discovered.

Honestly I agree with the concept of modification for your needs, my university would  enable you to perform what you want. All that's required is a degree in computer science... OR pay someone to do it for you.

Win 10 is easily the best OS, and as shown can be modified, we cannot however, on a modern powerful computer show any appreciable performance benefits from these modifications, so as a motivation for doing them it makes little sense. . In third world markets where older and second hand machines are more common then yes the load reduced can maintain performance at acceptable levels, and indeed this practice is more common, if somewhat prone to problems that require clean installs to fix.

As suggested if you have a good spec machine just ignore those app's you don't want and enjoy your computer.

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

even if you do remove, microsoft will force a major update that will re-enable all of it again and you'll be doing it all again.

And not everyone considers it bloatware, some find it useful to them. that's why it's hard to say what is actually bloatware and what is not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users