Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted folder? File names screwed up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SteveEEngg

SteveEEngg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

HI, I have a single folder on a USB key I can't access because all the filenames have changed to gibberish.  I get the error, "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

I've scanned the folder with bitdefender and it came up clean.  I can't rename anything either.  Even if I give it a single letter name, it gives the error, "The file name you specified is not valid or too long.  Specify a different file name."

I'm running Windows 7 both at work and home, although I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I've read that possibly it became corrupted due to a power outage or pulling the usb without safely removing hardware.  If anyone has any idea how I might be able to salvage the data it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm attaching a screenshot of how the files look now.

Thanks much,

Steve

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

You may want to take a look:  https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/fix-damaged-usb-flash-drive.html .

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

That looks like Marlett.  You can highlight the name of one of these files, then select a normal Windows text option such as Ariel.  This should revert the text to a legible form.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users