Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Revert dynamic disk to basic

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 swarmse

swarmse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Attached File  Capture.PNG   38.38KB   0 downloadsI recently picked up a new hard drive, and rather than adding it as a new drive to my system, I decided I'd try windows 10's Spanned Volume feature, as I had some stuff on there that I needed to keep under the same drive letter (D:) The performance was abysmal. Much longer load times than I was willing to deal with. I'd like to format the drives now, but I'm having lots of trouble doing so. I've tried the basic format option of right clicking the drive, then I went to Disk management to remove the volumes, but the "Delete Volume" option is greyed out. I then tried using DISKPART to delete the volumes, but no luck there either. Anyone able to help? I've backed up all data from the original drive, and i'd like to start fresh with the 2 drives in a raid-0 configuration if that's possible. The drives are both WD 1 TB. Not the exact same, but they are the same capacity and both are 7200 rpm.

Attached is a screencap of the disk management window

Edited by swarmse, 12 October 2017 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html

The above is an awesome tool I've used when Windows Disk Manager does not cooperate.

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

Google is your friend!  :bananas: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755238(v=ws.11).aspx

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer swarmse.

If the drive you wish to use needs to be wiped before reinstalling Windows 10  I would suggest using a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire drive and then install the operating system.

If you don't have the installation media you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

Just curious, why RAID O?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

All you really need is a quick format.  No need for any specialized tools.  Just do a quick format, and reinstall.  Or, if you have room install to same partition.  Delete windows.old afterwards.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

I suggested the complete overwrite specifically to remove everything on this drive.  If you are going to do this it's worth doing it completely.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hi, yes quick format has created many problems, the way to go is to follow Dc3's advice, at the very least do a full format.

#8 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hi, yes quick format has created many problems, the way to go is to follow Dc3's advice, at the very least do a full format.

I have never experienced any issues with quick format.  Never.  It is fast, easy, and does what you need it to do.  I really do not have all day to do a full format.  It really is quite unnecessary.  What problems has quick format created for you @jenae?  I would be interested in hearing them.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hi, well as Dc3 said if you are going to do this it's worth doing this completely. We have thousands of computers under our control, so formatting etc, is done quite a lot, over 40+ years of experience has taught us to favor caution over speed.

Many of our clients are part of government, so security is essential, without a lecture on the science behind this, an extract from a paper on the subject may help, applies to win 10. 

"Since Windows Vista, a full format writes zeroes to all data sectors (see MSKB 941961). Accessing each sector on the disk takes much more time than the quick format, which only writes the blocks that contain the file system structure. So normally a quick format is what you want because it is much faster. But there are cases where you might want to do a full format.

1. You might have a disk that you want to destroy or give away. If you just do a quick format, then the file data is still on the disk, only the file system structure (file names and information where the files are stored on the disk) are deleted. With specialized programs someone might try to “undelete” your files – the data is still there, the task of the program is to guess/know which data block belongs to which file.

2. You might not be sure if the hard disk is in a good state. Then a full format is a good idea because it accesses every sector, so if any sector is bad, this will be recognized. With a quick format only a few sectors will be written to. With bad luck you end up with a successful quick format, and when you want to write data to the disk later, it fails. Then you will probably be wishing you had done a full format that would have checked the entire disk right at the beginning. Of course you can always run a ‘chkdsk /r’ later to scan a disk for bad sectors".

#10 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

You are absolutely correct for those scenarios.  But, for the average person at his computer reinstalling or whatever, a quick format is just fine.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Hi, yes you do save time and I am sure for many the quick format works (it's why we included it), I like to do things properly you should also be aware there are sophisticated Virus that will survive a quick format, as long as you are happy then use it, me I think the extra time is worth it.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hi, yes you do save time and I am sure for many the quick format works (it's why we included it), I like to do things properly you should also be aware there are sophisticated Virus that will survive a quick format, as long as you are happy then use it, me I think the extra time is worth it.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users