Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer of data without knowledge

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terrybuchan

Terrybuchan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

Good day, everyone.

I am new to this forum.

I have two computers in my home - one newish one with 10 on it and another older one with 8.

Woke this morning, turned on my 8 (which was sleeping) to find the following on it, all from my 10 computer:

Background picture

Entire Favorites - from old Explorer Favorites that I had transferred from my old computer (sent out to pasture) a year ago

Word - a couple of files from expired Word on the 8.1 to the 10 computer

Doesn't appear to be any corruption of files to this point on either computer.

What happened and how to correct?

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

Are you using the same Microsoft Account, linked to the user accounts you're logging in to under both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10?

It sounds like you are and that your sync settings (on Windows 10 that would be Settings, Accounts, Sync your settings pane) are set to sync things you didn't know they were.  That's the first thing I'd check.  I am not certain where these same settings are found under Windows 8.1 and I don't have an 8.1 machine to check this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

Like Brian indicated, this is a normal part of Windows Sync. It is alright and there is no data stolen.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Terrybuchan

Terrybuchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

Appreciate your help.  Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users