Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Smart Fan Control

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Hey Guys and Gals, I was just wandering, In my bios I have an option called smart Fan Control. Should I disable this and have my CPU fan running @100% all the time or enable it and when the temps rise the fan will spin at a higher rpm. My temps stay between 40 -50 c Here are my system specs. Please not  at the time of the speccy test i was running some programs, that's why the temps are higher then normal. For peace of mind should i disable or leave it enabled. I was just curious as to what you guys thought.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aTVNeS2xycE8JKUPxFLIiOL

Edited by bug1971, 12 October 2017 - 08:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Were such an adjustment in my BIOS (I have not checked), I would leave it at the default setting.  I don't believe in becoming overly concerned with fans, speeds, etc. unless there is an indication of overheating at some time...I'm just a casual computer user and find other areas to obsess over :).

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

I always use Smart fan control when available.  You can usually tweak the profile if necessary (i.e set it to ramp up at different temperatures).  This means that where the CPU temperature is low (like when idling), the fan can run at a low speed for less noise.  The stock AMD FX coolers have a pretty high speed fan IIRC, which can get pretty loud.  Lower fan speeds also tends to need cleaning of dust less often, and arguably the fan should last longer.

#4 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

Thanks guys for the advice. At full speed, my fan is really loud. I will leave the smart control on. thanks again guys

Edited by bug1971, 14 October 2017 - 06:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users