Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F.lux on Linux

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

I only learnt a week or so before I went away for a couple of weeks that F.lux is now available for Linux. As I have used it regularly on Windows for quite a while this seemed a good idea.

I am happy to say that after following, and copy/pasting, the instructions it seems to have installed properly and is working. It is one of the things that has stopped me using Linux Mint as much as I might because I do a lot of my computing in my evening and I have always found that page backgrounds are somewhat glaring or dazzling, frankly uncomfortable. It is now much less unpleasant on the eyes.

If you do colour graphics the ability to disable it for a period to have correct colour display is another major advantage.

So, my first install that didn't come out of the Mint repositories. A little confusing but quite easy. I'm feeling almost pleased with myself !

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,112 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hi, Chris.

D'you mean to tell us you've actually got the GUI working for it in Linux? I was always under the impression that it was only available for Linux as a command-line application.....and an awkward-to-use one at that!

Care to share where you found the instructions, please? I've been using RedShiftGUI for Linux for quite some time (for the reasons stated above). I, too, used to use f.Lux all the time in good old XP.....but as a command-line app it truly sucks, big time.

EDIT:- Ah, I see. It's an add-on repository (PPA) job. That means it's 'out-the-window', as far as Pup's concerned; the Puppy Package Manager doesn't have the facility to add Ubuntu PPAs.....not without lots of complex editing of config files. No 'biggie'; RedShift does what I want, anyway.

OXdz7QZ.png

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 October 2017 - 06:21 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

What is F.lux?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

f.lux

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

HERE

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

What's up with just using the dimmer switch(s) on your keyboard to adjust how bright your screen is ????

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,112 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

@Gary:-

What's up with just using the dimmer switch(s) on your keyboard to adjust how bright your screen is ????

Quote from the MakeUseOf article on RedShift:-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/redshift-eyes-sharp-helps-sleep-linux/

"If you spend a lot of time looking at your computer – and if you read this blog I’m betting you do – you might notice that after a while your eyes start to hurt, and that you have trouble going to sleep at night. There’s a good reason for this: your computer screen is essentially a lightbulb, and you’re looking straight into it for hours at a time.

It’s for this reason that devices like the Kindle and the Nook are fast gaining popularity. Rather than utilizing the backlit screens we know from computers and cell phones, these devices mimic paper. The result is easier to read in the sun, and is in general easier on the eyes than a screen."

It's not so much about 'brightness', per se, Gary; it's more to do with the quality & nature of that brightness, and how it affects not only your eyes, but that part of your brain that integrates with your 'sleep center'.

I do know this much; by using RedShift, my eyes get a lot less 'achy' and sore at night.....and I definitely sleep better when I shut down for the night.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 13 October 2017 - 07:33 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hi Mike,

Personally, I find little or no difference as to how tired I get from reading at a screen, rather than from reading from my Kindle, and time of day doesn't seem to make any substantive difference either.

Then again, I'm ex-Navy, so I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, irrespective of my surroundings (or as my wife would say ... "you could lay on a washing line with a gale blowing, and still go to sleep"...), so I guess I'm probably not a good judge of how useful software of this type could be to others.

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

I love the app- I'm using it on Linux Mint 18.2 - makes a real difference! Thanks for turning me on to the app!

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,692 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:18 AM

@Mike Walsh #2

This information may be a few hours late but here it is anyway. Since I knew it was possible - it hadn't been the last time I looked - I started with Google and came up with this link

https://justgetflux.com/linux.html

Which sent me to GitHub with this link

https://github.com/xflux-gui/xflux-gui

With some head scratching and one false start it installed quite easily and yes, the GUI works in Mint 18. I can't speak for any other variety of Linux.

@Gary R #7

F.lux doesn't so much change the brightness of the screen as change the colour balance to a warmer hue which in the darker background of evening work is less wearing on the eyes. Possibly if I was doing a late shift in a fluorescent lit office it would not make any difference but the only fluorescent in our house is in the kitchen. and like you, I learnt the knack of falling asleep in the military. As the saying went 'Eat when there's food, sleep when you can, and work when you have to.'

Next project ?  Get my sound card - an ASUS Xonar D1 - working properly.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Similar to Night Light in Windows 10, thanks Chris!

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-night-light-windows-10-and-how-use-it

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users