Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnose Charging Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

This is of course related to the charger question I asked earlier.  

ASUS X555LAB Laptop.  20 months old. Normally used plugged in, but off of battery once a week.  So about 80-100 charge cycles in.  Battery life good as ever.  No visible wear or damage on cord or adapter.  Not even dusty.  Windows 10, all automatic updates, most recent tuesday (as in- after the charger problems occurred)

Last friday, at McDs, screen suddenly dims.  Not charging.  Fiddle with adapter, replug it upside down, works.  Think nothing more.  Issues most days afterwards though.  Usually if it powers immediately, it will stay on all day.  Bad, bad sinking feeling in gut, as I have no money for repair or replacement.  

Today.  Could not get it to power.  No fiddling worked, I have no idea whatsoever where or what the problem is.  (battery?  software?  cord?  adapter?  evil spirits?) Battery running down, asked previous question. 

Transferring files to off laptop storage (ie thumb drive, tablet).  Oops, hadn't plugged in tablet.  Do so.  Look at laptop screen.  Why is it brighter?  It's charging now?  Literally nothing changed.  This is the second times this scenario has occurred- Nothing, battery running down, suddenly decides to work.  

What's going on?  Is it something I can fix myself?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

few different issues it could be:

1. the dc power connector in the laptop has came unsoldered from the pc board

2. or if it's not soldered to the pc board then the wire is broken at the back of the connector and need resoldered

3. or the connector itself is internally damaged, then it needs replaced

4. or the dc power adapter is either bad or had a bad cord just behind the plug where it plugs into the laptop.

easiest to do is find another adapter and try it first.  if it works then the internal connector is ok and your adapter is bad.  if it doesn't work then I would suspect the connector inside the laptop.

you could visually look at the connector and see if the center pin wiggles around loosely but just the pin if the entire connector wiggles with the pin then it could be the wires on the back of it or where it soldered to the circuit board depending how it's done.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

Is this the original power adapter which came with this computer?

This type of problem can be caused by a problem with the power adapter or circuitry inside the laptop itself.  You first need to determine where this is occurring, in the power adapter or the laptop itself.  To determine this you need to know if the power adapter is producing the proper output voltage.  To do this you need a multimeter with a DC Volt scale.  If you don't have one you can purchase on at Amazon for $5.69, shipping is free.

On the adapter there are specification for the output voltage and amperage for the adapter.  Example of output voltage:  18.5VDC @ 3.5A  If you post the make and model of this computer I will post the what the output voltage should be.

The center conductor in the plug which get plugged into the laptop is the + positive conductor, the outside of the plug is the ground which is the negative conductor.

You need to set the multimeter to a DC Voltage scale with a range of 20V.  Place the red probe (+) in the inner conductor and place the black (-) against the outside metal of the connector to read the voltage.  If the voltage fails to produce the proper voltage you will need to replace the adapter.  As for troubleshooting the computer itself, you would need to open the case to visually or physically determine if the power plug on the computer is the problem.  This is the most vulnerable spot in the supply of voltage to the computer.

Contrary to what some members believe, you will get a output voltage reading if it is producing any amount of voltage at all.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users