Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What can I do about this email situation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gloryg

gloryg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Hello,

I have had an odd problem where I work.  I have been at my job for 14 years.  Email where I work is set up by first names like joe@abc.com.  Two weeks after I started this job I sent my boss an email with confidential information in it.  At the time there were more then one person with the same first name as my boss.  Of course these other people's emails were not set up exactly with the exact same first name as my boss.

The confidential email I sent to my boss ended up getting to another person who had the same first name.  Of course I got in trouble for it.  I thought it seemed strange because I remember very clearly sending it to my boss.  I am an Accountant and certainly know enough to be more then extra careful with confidential information.  I just let it go and chalked it up to I that I had made an error.  I made sure to use more then extra care when sending my boss any emails.  I wouldn't be stupid enough no to make sure this situation didn't happen again.

Another two weeks went by I had the same experience with another confidential that I sent to my boss getting to someone else.  This time I became suspicious. I know I had not send this email to the wrong person.

This has happened in spurts since I have been at this job. 

This is what I need to point out.  This only happens when I send my boss a confidential email.  It has never happened when I send an email to anyone else. It again only happens when I send a confidential email to my boss.

I have tried everything.  I have had IT look into the problem.  I have tried blind copying myself.  I have set up separate contact list.  Nothing has worked.

Yesterday I had something else weird happen.  I had to prepare several small spread sheets for my boss.  I checked them all over several times before I sent them.  On one of the spreadsheets I noticed something funny going on.  it seemed like it did not want to save properly.  I checked this spread over again several time and it finally saved and was correct when I sent it.

My boss emailed me saying I have provided incorrect information on one of the spreadsheets.  I checked my original and when my boss received is not what I sent.

I know what I am about to say is going to sound totally crazy, but this is what I have concluded after all the experiences I have had.

This is what I know has been going on for several years now.  Something is happening to change my emails and even attachments after I send them.

I honestly feel that my boss has had a hand in this.  If this wasn't the case why are things only happening when I email my boss and no one else?

Would anyone know anything I maybe able to do?

I appreciate any input anyone maybe able to provide.

Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2017 - 10:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

FWIW:  Any email system set up.strictly by first name @ a given location or business entity...is a poor one, IMO.  Not to mention the transmittal of sensitive information via email with no proviso for signed receipt...to ensure that the intended party is in receipt of said information.

You don't mention the number of employees for this worksite...but methinks that the current system is/was poorly designed and managed.  Legal documents these days are transmitted and received via email rotuinely...and such incorporate esignature control to ensure that documents get where they are intended to go and are received by the intended recipient.

Whomever is in charge of the IT function...may want to look into those types of controls.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2017 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users