Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heard random audio playing in background

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:49 AM

I have Windows 7 64-bit, I use Chrome and Firefox with the free versions of avast!, MBM and SAS. About 5 minutes ago I heard random garbled audio playing I couldn't see which tab was playing sound. I closed a few I suspected and haven't heard it since but I want to be sure. I haven't done a virus/malware scan in a while because I've been very busy but since I'm not seeing any other infected behavior or pop-ups from avast! I wonder what I heard. I've been cleaning up dead bookmarks and old saved tabs so it's possible I picked up something again that I managed to delete before? I just want to make sure it's not a rootkit or something worse because I've had that before and it wasn't fun. 

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:03 AM

Shouldnt be a Problem , Usually they are just Popups that try to intice you to click on them or webpages posing as legitmate sites.

Videos are Advertised on alot of pages these days that can direct you elsewhere good and nasties.

But just being aware is the best practice  and dont Click anything that Looks Suspicious....

You could run Malwarebytes / Avast Scan and delete whats found , also clear your Browsers History prior to them.

JRT can also be run   https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

I dont have alot faith in SAS , but each to there own ...

#3 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

I think I solved it. It was some kind of glitch with Discord. The sound stopped when I closed that tab and my connection reset. 

Thank you for your help!

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users