Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage upgrade: RAID 1 HDD, 1 Fast HDD w b/u HDD, SSD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RackAttack

RackAttack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

Things to take into consideration:

>> Money is a HUGE limiter on this one!  (*phew* had to get that out first. -- I might be able to go for a few hundred, but pulling out all my teeth without novocaine would be easier.)

>> HDD crashed a few years ago and I BARELY was able to dump the data off of it to a new HDD.  (So this is in my mind and the main reason for the upgrade.)

>> I'm a gamer & love "fast, fast, fast."  (But doesn't everyone?)

Current Setup:

1-TB, WD-Blue: 7200rpm ~2.5 years old on daily heavy use PC

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: h8-1414
BIOS: v8.10
Processor: AMD FX™-6120 Six-Core Processor              (6 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 10240MB RAM

DISPLAY: Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

KEEP IN MIND:  The only RAID controller I would have is some software RAID controller supplied by AMD that came with the machine and has failed a few times on me already, resulting in BSoDs, and I have never even run a RAID on the machine - yet.  (AMD ahci*.* or something like that - forget the file name) --- The machine was set up with Win8 ... So, I'm not even sure if this controller is compatible with Win10. And I don't think the RAID controller is even supported or upgraded by AMD any longer???

Choices:

1.) Buy another 1-TB, WD-Blue (~$50) - Install in RAID 1 setup) -- I was the one to think of this, not sure of its worthiness.  BENEFITS: Data much safer - Improved read-time mostly.  Slight speed boost?

2.) Buy a 1-TB, WD-Black: 7200rpm (~$75 ... This begins to hurt) - (Higher performance HDD) -- And try to shoehorn it in a RAID 1 config with the aforementioned WD-Blue.  (Probably bad idea.  But I thought of it.)

3.) Buy a 1-TB, WD-Black (as above): Dump all my data onto this and use it as my primary with some sort of rolling back-ups being made (not RAID) to my old HDD.

4.) Buy a 1-TB, SSD (~$280 ... OUCH!!!) - Dump all my data to it and use it as a primary.  Using the old HDD as some type of rolling-back up (not RAID).

5.) Buy a PNY (cheap) 120GB or 240GB ($60 - ahh or $95 - gulp!) Forego any hope of redundancy or back-up and port my operating system and favorite games to the SSD & Keep the rest on the HDD and hope neither fails.

6.) *whatever other suggestions*

HELP!  I'm indecisive!  ;)  

Really, I was just wondering what others thought.

Looking forward to your brilliance.

Edited by RackAttack, 11 October 2017 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

I'd go with 5 and would also backup most sensitive data to free cloud services (encrypted of course).

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

I'd go with the $100 SSD option.  While a standard user might be able to get by on 120GB, it won't work very well for a gamer.  The speed difference in going from a mechanical drive to a SSD has to experienced to be believed.  You can then back up to your current drive.

You don't say how much space you have available on the current 1TB drive.  

#4 RackAttack

RackAttack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

I'd go with 5 and would also backup most sensitive data to free cloud services (encrypted of course).

Thanks for your input.  It helps a lot.

I'd go with the $100 SSD option.  While a standard user might be able to get by on 120GB, it won't work very well for a gamer.  The speed difference in going from a mechanical drive to a SSD has to experienced to be believed.  You can then back up to your current drive.

You don't say how much space you have available on the current 1TB drive.  

So far there seems to be a consensus that SSD is the way to go.  Thanks for your input as well, both comments help me a lot to decide.  (I have 103 GB left on my original 1 TB drive.  Which, I really don't want to invade because of cache's, page files, swap files, etc. or whatever else Win10 might use the empty space for.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users