Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install any new softwares

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hi All,

It's me again, the LM Noob having some difficulties, again. For those that don't know or for those that have forgotten my Linux PC is:

Linux Mint 18.2 (Sarah) W/ Cinnamon desktop.

Please advise if more info is needed.

Since I just occasionally use this PC, I didn't think much of this issue until now. I guess I thought, just maybe, the problem would just go away & fix itself, but for the past few months this problem keeps occurring & hasn't let up.

OK, that's pretty much the background. Here's what's happening:

Evidently, for some unknown reason I Can't install any new software on my PC. I've tried to install a few games, a few Back up utils and all of these end up with the same result; LM will not install it. I usually get the message "the package 'whatever' can't be installed"  or "such & such is in use, please check…" Once I even got "check your internet connection"! Duh, isn't the Software Repository DB online??

This is what I'm doing:

• On my LM desktop (after initial boot) the Welcome  window pops up with many options.
  • From there, I click on <apps>
  • This takes me to another window where I can pick a category.
  • After browsing the category, I double click on a selection.
  • This takes me to another window where I can view the details, comments, etc. of my selection.
  • From that window I can see that the package has not been installed.
  • If I decide I want the package, I click on <install>.
  • After a few seconds,  I get the usual "can't install package" window.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is here?

--------------------------

A few hours later…

-------------------------

Well, it seems, that I've 'fixed' my own issue…

Just before posting the above, I decided to browse a few topics here on BC. I came across a post by cat1092 which nicely explained the importance of entering 'sudo ufw enable'. I thought to myself that "I don't need to do that" since I did that long ago in my previous version of LM.  Then it dawned on me, I probably need to enter it again in the upgraded version of LM that I'm using now.  Lo & behold!! It all works now !!!  I can select software packages & they install!

I wish I'd found this out much sooner! Yes, LM is wonderful! I love it, but it STILL has a long way to go before it becomes common, IMO.

To me, this is a prime example…

Can anyone offer their opinion or weigh-in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hi PieLam

Great to see you sorted the problem out yourself.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

I came across a post by cat1092 which nicely explained the importance of entering 'sudo ufw enable'. I thought to myself that "I don't need to do that" since I did that long ago in my previous version of LM.  Then it dawned on me, I probably need to enter it again in the upgraded version of LM that I'm using now.  Lo & behold!! It all works now !!!  I can select software packages & they install!

Good Job PieLam, sometimes we just need to try things and do a little research.  What you did was Activate the "Uncomplicated Firewall" which should probably be activated by default but it's not.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFirewall

I don't know why that fixed your problem but will try to remember this for future installs of Mint.

pc out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:09 AM

Yes it's important not only to have the ufw Firewall enabled, also read your router's owner's manual to activate it's NAT Firewall, which protects all computers & smartphones connected to your network. :)

While there, using a computer connected by Ethernet, also disable remote administration (unless needed), as well as UP&P, and finally change all passwords from their defaults, this keeps others from breaking into your network, or at least makes things a lot harder. 

Glad to hear that enabling the ufw Firewall fixed your issue, it's a necessity if the router is not properly secured and/or when connecting to public or other wireless networks that may not be as secure as the owner(s) thinks. Some AT&T routers are setup with a numbers only passphrase, a goldmine for one looking for a free wireless connection with the right software, or to steal data. That's why security begins at the inbound networking level (the router), not the network interface (NIC) of every connected computer or smartphone on the network. :)

Securing the router in today's Malware/Ransomware landscape is not an optional, rather necessary step, regardless of which OS's are connected. 

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users