Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse and keyboard jitter/lag

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TJJunior

TJJunior

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

I've had the same mouse/keyboard combo for the last 2-3 years, wireless logitech, they've been great.  Approximately 2 months ago (3 months?  Something like that) they keyboard and mouse started acting erratically.  If I move the mouse across the screen, for example, it will begin to move and then stop 1/3  of the way across the screen, even though I'm still moving the mouse.  Same with the keyboard, it will either not register that I'm hitting keys or it will repeat the same letter 3 or 4 times (when I only pressed it once).  Sounds very similar to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/657995/mouse-and-keyboard-randomly-stop-working/?hl=%2Bmouse#entry4340739 but I don't see any resolution on that one.

Things I've tried:

• Replacing the batteries
  • Moving the USB dongle to different USB ports on the computer (front and back)
  • Using a wired mouse instead of wireless, same problem, and tried a different wireless mouse with a different USB dongle, same issue
  • Various mouse settings such as mouse acceleration 
  • Deleting the mouse drivers (via device manager) and letting Windows re-install them on reboot
  • Checking for driver updates on cpu, graphics card, etc
  • Doing a clean boot like the link above suggested.  This seems to improve it, but it still glitches sporadically

Any other suggestions on what to try?  Computer is a Dell (Vostro I believe?), originally Windows 7 Pro but upgraded with no problems to Win 10 Pro, current with updates.  My gut feel is something happened after a Windows update (possibly Creator edition?) but I don't remember for certain when I started noticing it.  

Would love any suggestions/tips!  It's not constant, but frequent enough that it's beginning to drive me nuts!  In these last sentences alone, my keyboard instead typed "nuuts" and "alonone".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MsTeena

MsTeena

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Do you have another computer you can try your mouse on? Hmm...I guess both having the same issue is not very likely. LoL Hey, strangers things have happened.

#3 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

It's a business computer, and we actually are having the same mouse/keyboard issue with one other computer (which started around the same time as mine) and yet 3 or 4 others have never had any issue.  I did try my mouse and keyboard out on one of the computers that's not had any problems, and they work fine, so it's definitely the computer not the mouse/keyboard.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

Hi, from your first post you linked to a previous thread, you did not supply the reg query 's asked for. Device manager keeps all device settings in the registry, it is a standard diagnostic approach to check the settings there. As indicated it is perfectly safe as the cmd's only read the entries, I write the cmd's myself, so they are safe. Thousands of computers have had their mouse\keyboard problem fixed by removing third party added filters, your symptoms indicate the likely possibility of this, checking will confirm or remove this as a issue.

#5 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

I didn't want to assume that those queries would be the same for that user as for me!  Here is the output of them.

Attached Files

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

Hi, well if the reg query was run on the errant machine ('s) then the registry settings are as per the defaults, which means this is not the problem. 

Open device manager and select mouse\keyboard and right click on each one . select update driver, next, select browse my computer option, then, Let me pick from a list of available drivers... make sure there is a check in show compatible hardware click on next and windows will reinstall the drivers. Do this for both keyboard and mouse. Restart computer. let us know how you get on.

#7 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

Partial success (which I count as a win!).  When I did that, both the keyboard and mouse had 2 options for available drivers:

Mouse:

• HID-compliant device
  • HID-compliant mouse

Keyboard:

• HID Keyboard device
  • HID-compliant device

When I picked the first one and re-installed it, my wireless mouse stopped working as did my keyboard when I re-installed the keyboard driver.  Plugged in a wired mouse and keyboard, and so far at least no lag on either of them after rebooting.  I tried to then hook the wireless mouse/keyboard back up, but no luck.  I downloaded the Logitech connect utility from their website.  With that, you plug the USB dongle in and it then resets it, but it would not recognize the dongle (meaning it kept saying there's no wireless receiver installed even when I removed it and replugged it into different USB ports).  The mouse/keyboard do work on another computer so I think it is still some setting on mine, but if it's not an easy fix I can live with having to use a wired mouse/keyboard.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users