Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 freezes, 'files are missing' and BSOD Kernel Data Inpage Error

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 quiescentials

quiescentials

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hi, 

I've already tried in the 'Am I infected' and 'Virus, Trojan' etc. forums, but apparantly my problem does not lay with malware but with problems in Windows 8. See my previous topic to see what we've tried already:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/659097/files-missing-in-windows-81-computer-freezes-bsod-kernel-data-inpage-error/ 

For the past few weeks I'm experiencing my computer freezing up for a few seconds at the time. For example, I will type something in Word and it will freeze for a few seconds and then show me what I've typed. Same goes for Google Chrome, InDesign, etc. It also happens when switching tabs or opening the start menu. It will freeze a few seconds, then resume. When I open task manager I can see the 'disk'  column go up to 100 even though none of the processes go past 0.1 mb. Then it goes down again for a while and it climbs up to 100 again, even though I'm doing nothing and the processes stay the same. 

Moreover, I cannot download new apps in the appstore because I'm missing files. Same goes for trying to do a system restore or go back to factory settings: It always says files are missing from Windows. This leads me to believe that there are serious issues and errors in my windows. 

I have also been experiencing BSOD saying 'Kernel Date Inpage Error'. 

Would it perhaps help to do a clean install of Windows? And if it would, could someone lead me through it? I don't want to end up with a computer that can't do anything as I have to work on it. Or I would have to buy a new one, of course.

Edited by Al1000, 11 October 2017 - 03:18 PM.
moved from Win 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Run SeaGate SeaTools - the LONG, GENERIC test.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:07 AM

Hi, thanks for helping.

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VOyjCQcHrXkMWEvsR6rBqti

You say run the SeaGate tool, but on the link provided it isn't listed under what to do if you have a SSD. Do I still do it or something else?

Attached Files

Edited by quiescentials, 12 October 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't realize this was an SSD... generally tests for SSDs are not accurate, so we try to avoid them. But recently more and more manufacturers are coming up with "proper" (non-S.M.A.R.T.) diagnostics for their SSDs (e.g. SeaGate instructs users to run their program SeaTools to test SeaGate SSDs).

Samsung has a program called SSD Magician (go to Samsung's website, search for your SSD model, and find the download link... as I believe it differs from model to model?) - can you run it and see what it says about your health of the SSD? It should also include a firmware updater - can you check for updates? SSD firmware is very important to update.

For your information, I suspect your SSD because 0x7As are almost always indicative of drive problems. Furthermore, from the one and only dump file and the Event Logs, I concluded that there was corruption during a paging operation. As to whether this is a file system or actual hardware issue, we don't know yet.

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

I downloaded SSD Magician and it immediately told me to update the firmware (I have never updated this, so it must have been long overdue as I've had this laptop since 2014). It now says that the drive condition is good. It's nighttime here now, but since I've updated the firmware my computer hasn't frozen yet, so that's a good sign as it would freeze while just typing this before. I'll report back later once I've used my laptop some more. 

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Sounds good! :)

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Any updates? :)

#8 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

Since I've updated my SSD's firmware I haven't experienced any freezing or BSOD! Thanks so much for that, I never knew the solution was relatively simple. However, the problems in my windows still persist. I cannot download apps from the appstore because of the 'missing files', same goes for doing a system restore etc. But I'm guessing that's a question for the windows 8 forum?

I'm really grateful for your help, because I've been struggling with my laptop for over a month and now it finally runs normally and I can work without it freezing all the time. 

#9 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

- double post -

Edited by quiescentials, 16 October 2017 - 04:41 AM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

You're welcome. I suspect the missing files problem was caused by the buggy SSD firmware. I'll try to tackle this problem. Let's begin with a CHKDSK to cleanup the file system...

:step1: Check Disk

WARNING: It is recommended that you backup ALL your files. If CHKDSK finds and repairs a corrupted sector, you may lose your data.

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
chkdsk /F
  • You should see this message:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer and CHKDSK will run.

Once CHKDSK is complete, we need the log:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

And to repair any corrupted system files... let's run an SFC scan...

:step2: System File Checker

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
sfc /SCANNOW
  • After the scan is finished, you will see one of three things:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
  • If you see either of the two latter messages, please immediately enter the following command:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Then, attach sfcdetails.txt, which is found on your Desktop, in your next reply.

Edited by bwv848, 16 October 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#11 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

I ran chkdsk, but I was unable to open powershell. I saw it open but it immediately closed again, I just saw it in a flash. 

Attached are the scannow results. 

Attached Files

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

I ran chkdsk, but I was unable to open powershell. I saw it open but it immediately closed again, I just saw it in a flash.

No problem, try option one on this page and copy/paste the info in your next post. :)

From the SFC results, we need to run DISM to fix some store corruptions. Pop open an elevated command prompt (run as admin) and enter the following command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After DISM's finished, restart your computer and run SFC again. SFC should come up clean this time.

#13 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

I tried option one, but I keep getting an error in the program (see attachment, I'm not sure if it's of any use as it is in Dutch..)

Also, I ran your prompt and it is stuck on 40%. I left it on 20% and went out for more than an hour, I came back and it's now stuck on 40. Do I leave it overnight or do you reckon it's stuck?

Attached Files

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hmm... I'd stop and try DISM one more time. I suspect Event Viewer doesn't have the resources to open as several OS critical files are corrupted, a result of the buggy SSD firmware. We may just have to do a repair install. If DISM hangs, let's try to get the CHKDSK log by running ListCHKDSKResult. You'll see the instructions near the bottom of the first post.

#15 quiescentials

quiescentials
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

I'm running DISM again and it's stuck on 40% again.

I ran CHKDSK Result and it doesn't come up with anything? I tried running CHKDSK again to get results and I noticed that halfway through (about 40% I think? seems to be a recurring pattern, haha) the screen goes black for a few seconds and then suddenly it jumps to 100. Almost like it doesn't quite finish? And after running it and immediately running the result program it still couldn't find a log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users