Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auslogic Disk Defragmentor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

I've used the above for many years as always found it excellent and a lot quicker than the MS supplied ones. I've been told by an IT tech that i shoudn't use it anymore as it's now acting as "Data Collector" almost like spyware and is bad for PC's/Laptops etc. Just stick to the MS one's i was told. When i ran a AntiMalwareBytes check it did come up as spyware.

Any comments on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Nonsense. They do include an OPTIONAL applet which you can (and should) choose not to install during the installation routine, but it has nothing to do with data gathering. And there is nothing "bad for pc's" about the product.

Here's a recent review from Lifewire: https://www.lifewire.com/auslogics-disk-defrag-review-2619157

Edited by Allan, 11 October 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#3 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:46 AM

Nonsense. They do include an OPTIONAL applet which you can (and should) choose not to install during the installation routine, but it has nothing to do with data gathering. And there is nothing "bad for pc's" about the product.

Here's a recent review from Lifewire: https://www.lifewire.com/auslogics-disk-defrag-review-2619157

I reinstalled it yesterday but couldn't find any "optional applet" on installation. Where is it?

#4 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:47 AM

I use this program knowing that Auslogics does use GASender.exe to collect what they say is just program usage info.I still cannot figure out why such paranoia exists when Google is the worst when it comes to data collection.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hi, andrew193!

There is a recent topic discussion on the very same subject, which you should read, here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/658334/mbam-says-auslogics-defrag-installer-has-pup/

The OPTIONAL applet which Allan is referring to, means selecting Custom Install (Advanced) in stead of Express Install (Recommended) on the first installation dialogue box.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

With software downloaded from the internet, regardless of the product, you should always choose custom install. It doesn't guarrantee you won't install something you don't want but it definitely improves your chances and saves the effort of trying to uninstall unwanted 'free bonus packages'.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users