Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cane

Cane

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

[b][font=Arial][size=4] pc illiterate just figuring how to use laptop. Have downloaded Registry Mechanic but I don't think I really know what it is. It says it found 136 problems. Should I buy this software and let it correct the problems it has found or is it just a gimmick ro get me to buy it?

Cane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

A lot of those traps around, they tell you that your comp is infected and then charge you money for the removal.

Simply most malware will be removed if you follow the steps in the link given here; however, in the rare case that the malware beats the steps mentioned, then the link goes on to tell what to do after that.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_Must_Re..._Log-t2852.html
everyday is a gift

#3 esdog

esdog

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:34 AM

I have used registry mechanic for awhile now and have not had any problems caused by what it removes. That being said a lot of what it removes is not really going to cause a problem if left alone.
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, on others I let her sleep in.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hi Cane.
As the name implies it modifies your Registry. The first think you should do is backup your registry, and create a new restore point. This is your fail safe if things should go very bad. It does not take very many registry changes to to render your operating system unusable.
ERUNT will create a backup of your registry, or you can do it manually. Whatever you do BACKUP your registry.
If you computer is not being adversely affected by these so called problems you would be better off leaving them like they are. IMHO
I am sure others will weight in on this topic thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ardynne

ardynne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

I have used Registry Mechanic in the past and it works fine. Still, you can find similar software capable of "tidying up" your registry and also offering other functionalities for free; the latest I've found is CCleaner, http://www.ccleaner.com/

As mentioned already by acklan, don't forget to create a backup of your registry before you try modifying it, since an error could cause undesired effects on the performance of your computer.

Another tip I can give you is to find out information about a program before you download it from the net. A good place to look for information is in "Google Groups" or in this forum.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users