Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 icons being added to windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BriSca

BriSca

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:42 AM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Creators update.

Something has recently started adding 2 icons to many windows in my system. At first I thought it was only Pale Moon but now I am seeing them in other windows eg Windows Photo Viewer.

Attached File  Screen Shot 10-11-17 at 10.27 AM.JPG   178.14KB   0 downloads

The icons seem to do nothing when clicked merely obscure whatever is underneath which remains active.

I have done a full scan of my system for PUPs etc and it is clean. Google image search returns no matches.

Can someone tell me where these icons are coming from so that I can stop them and preserve what's left of my sanity.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

Have you checked that something in accessibility hasnt been switched on? The microphone icon looks like its waiting for a spoken command.
Windows Speech Recognition lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a keyboard or mouse. There's a wizard to help you get started. Just plug in your microphone, and then, in the search box on the taskbar, type Speech Recognition, and select Windows Speech Recognition.

After you complete the wizard, you can walk through a tutorial to learn voice commands and train your PC to recognize your voice.

For additional options, type Control Panel in the search box on the taskbar, and select Control Panel. Then select Ease of Access > Speech Recognition.

#3 BriSca

BriSca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

Goddess_Bastet

Many thanks for your speedy reply.

Although the cause turned out not to be connected to Windows Speech Recognition, by pointing out that the first icon was a microphone a Google search on "microphone icon in bottom right of screen" led me to "IN_GAME OVERLAY" in Nvidia's GeForce Experience which for some reason was turned on.

Thanks to you my problem is solved.

Very best wishes

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users