Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kali Linux Black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ju3t1ce

Ju3t1ce

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

Hey all,

So I wanted to install Kali Linux on my Macbook Pro, I went through the installation well until I got to the login, once I enter my details and click login I will get a grey background and nothing else, couldn't do anything. So I rebooted got up to the bit where it asks for the username, I open the non-gui instance of Terminal and use

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

and rebooted, and ever since then I boot into a black screen with a underscore at the top left. I've searched all over Google and tried dozens of solutions and nothing has worked. I have tried reinstalling, multiple times, I attempted to install Nvidia drivers but it just says unknown package using

apt-get install Nvidia-kernal-dkms

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Ju3t1ce,

I have no experience with Kali Linux, or Macbooks.

I have, however, run into the same issue on PC's using some nvidia graphics chips.  The GT630 was one of them.

When doing an initial install of Xubuntu, another  Debian based Linux distro,

The system would run through the install process with no problem.  The GUI install would display normally,

However, after the install, on the first startup, I would get the "back screen," with an unresponsive flashing underscore at the top left corner.

After much trial and error, I found that it was due to the login screen not loading properly.

My workaround was to select the Auto Login function during the install process.

The system would then bypass the login screen, and boot straight to the desktop.

It would function normally, after that, and I could use it.

After experimenting with nvidia proprietary drivers, I decided to stick with the X.Org X server Nouveau display driver instead.

Cheers!

Naught

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

I used to use nvidia drivers, until I experimented with the Noveaux driver.

Ju3t1ce,

Compatibility issues with hardware and software are not uncommon, when installing Linux on laptops. Which version(s) of Kali have you tried?

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Also:
Nvidia-kernal-dkms
It is correct in saying that is an "unknown package." Use
apt-cache search nvidia
to find the correct name.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

How long did you wait to reboot after running this? just curious, as this takes a while to run.

I would at least post the Version of Kali you tried to use along with the exact model of computer.

What were you trying to do, Dual Boot or a Single Boot.?

I'll assume you followed the directions at THIS page?

For Troubleshooting Installations

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Ju3t1ce

Ju3t1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

Al1000,

Yeah I did eventually download the Nvidia drivers but every time I try to install it, it would go "Installation failed!" something along the lines of cc verification failure or something. I'm not home at the moment, but when I do will get the exact error.

pcpunk,

It took at least 15 or so minutes before it was rebooted. I downloaded the Kali 64bit 4.12 on the website but after running the update and upgrade it was 4.13. I tried both versions and same result. I'm using a 2010 MacBook Pro, 4Gb, Nvidia GT 330m.

I was attempting to do a dual boot but it just wasn't working so I just wiped my drive and did single boot. And yes I did. I also used a rEFInd for USB.

Edited by Ju3t1ce, 12 October 2017 - 12:55 AM.

#7 Ju3t1ce

Ju3t1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

Okay, so I eventually installed Nvidia driver (Nvidia-legacy-340xx) cause apparently my GPU is no longer supported or something. Upon rebooting it caused the error "failed to start load kernel modules" so I had to uninstall it. To be honest, I don't know what to do anymore.

#8 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

. . . eventually installed . . . Nvidia-legacy-340xx . . my GPU is no longer supported . . . caused the error "failed to start load kernel modules . .  don't know what to do anymore.

As I understand it, you now have a MacBook with Kali Linux, and it will not boot because of a kernel issue?

Being unfamiliar with Apple products, I can only suggest the following.

Will it boot from the usb stick and load the live image on the USB?  If so, you may have to start from scratch, and reload once more.

This time, however, avoid the log in screen, and select the auto login feature, if it is available.  That is what solved the issue for me with the nVidia GPU and the black screen at login.

Also, if the install program asks if you want to install proprietary software, answer no.  Let it use the generic Xorg nVidia driver.

Cheers!

Naught.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

Sorry I can't be of much help.  There seem to be lots of issues doing this on that pc.  I will at least leave you with one good thread I found on the issue.

Title of the Post, scroll down to it.

"I finally solved the problem when setpci doesn't change the value of PCI-E bridge."

It's not Kali mind you but should apply.

I wonder if there is any good info HERE for you.

Edited by pcpunk, 12 October 2017 - 04:27 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Ju3t1ce

Ju3t1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

Naught McNoone

Yeah, I can launch it using Live. I did try what you suggested but enabling autologin just didn't boot at all, got stuck halfway through booting and just froze there. I did pull 2 log files one syslog and Xorg.0.log if anyone could make sense of it.

https://paste.ee/p/yxMTp

Contains both logs.

Thank you all for helping though, I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

I don't know what I did, but I did update and upgrade again and now I'm on the latest version and I'm booting into the login screen but again, I'm getting the first problem again, after entering login information it will keep the grey background but everything else disappears and I cannot do anything.

EDIT 2:

Okay, so I tried installing LightDM instead of GDM3 and it just went back to a black screen, so I reinstalled GDM3 and I get back to the login screen. So it was LightDM causing the issue. But again, I can't get passed the login screen.

Edited by Ju3t1ce, 12 October 2017 - 10:28 PM.

#11 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

. . . don't know what I did . . . reinstalled GDM3 . . . it was LightDM causing the issue . . . can't get passed the login screen.

Hmm. . .

OK.  Your system boots up and you can see the screen, but the login does not work.

Try this:

At the log in screen, do not attempt to log in.  Instead use <ctl>+<alt>+<f1>.

Do you get a terminal log in?  If so, then log in as your user.

Use the command "startx" to start your xorg server, and it should bring up your desktop.

If everything works fine from there, then we know that your problem is in the Kali System side,

If it does not load the xorg server properly, or it loads and then freezes, then we know that the problem is with the xorg server.

Cheers!

Naught

#12 Ju3t1ce

Ju3t1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

. . . don't know what I did . . . reinstalled GDM3 . . . it was LightDM causing the issue . . . can't get passed the login screen.

Hmm. . .

OK.  Your system boots up and you can see the screen, but the login does not work.

Try this:

At the log in screen, do not attempt to log in.  Instead use <ctl>+<alt>+<f1>.

Do you get a terminal log in?  If so, then log in as your user.

Use the command "startx" to start your xorg server, and it should bring up your desktop.

If everything works fine from there, then we know that your problem is in the Kali System side,

If it does not load the xorg server properly, or it loads and then freezes, then we know that the problem is with the xorg server.

Cheers!

Naught

Okay, so I ran startx and this is what I got:

"

X.Org X Server 1.19.3

Release Date: 2017-03-15

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

Kernel Command Line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=aa594fb1-605d-435f-91e1-861ccd0fe4a7 ro quiet

xorg-server 2:1.19.3-2

Current version of pixman: 0.34.9

(==) Log File: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log"

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

"

and after that the terminal just freezes with a solid underscore and cannot do anything.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

Do you need Kali Linux to be running on bare metal? If all else fails why not try running Kali in Virtualbox and you shouldn't run into any driver issues.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

Also, I believe from what has been said on this Forum, you can just install any tools that Kali has onto another Distro.  So if you don't need it on a Pendrive, then why not just install another distro and Add the Software you want. 

From what I understand Kali is mostly used for Pen-testing from a USB.  So again, you may just want to install it to a USB and see if that will boot on that pc, or any other pc you want to PenTest.  You may have the same issues with another Distro but maybe easier to fix also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Ju3t1ce   " . . . the terminal just freezes . . . cannot do anything."

My bad.  I forgot something.

After you start the xserver, use <ctl>+<alt>+<f8> and see if it shows your desktop.

<ctl>+<alt>+<f7> should bring you back to your original login screen.

<ctl>+<alt>+<f2> will open another terminal.

<ctl>+<alt>+<backspace> will also restart your xserver.

If any of the above work, then your system is not locked up.

The issue seems to be with the xserver configuration.

The only option I see now is to modify the xorg configuration.

It will be a lot of trial and error, with no guarantee of success.

Before going there, I would suggest another distro, to see if it is related to Kali.

As Captain_Chicken said, you can always run something more stable, and just load the tools you need.

Cheers!

Naught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users