Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password protected sharing doesn't work. Never asks for user/password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 draqen4

draqen4

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

I'm trying to make it so users on the network require a username/password to be able to access my shared files, but it never prompts and they just get immediate access. I've turned on "Turn on password protected sharing" in the Advanced sharing settings part of the control, but no luck. Any ideas as to why it isn't working? The clients machine doesn't have any passwords saved in the credential manager either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

There are a few things to check.  If the Everyone group has access, that might be your issue.  If the user is the same as an Administrative user on the machine you might see this.

Take a look at the properties of the Share.  Press the Advanced Sharing button.  Press the Permissions button to see who has access to the share.  This access is for when someone is accessing the share remotely, not on the machine.  Next check the Security tab.  The Security tab is for accessing the share location locally.  When accessing remotely the use gets the most restrictive of the two.  If they have full access to the share, but security is read only then they will only have read only.

#3 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:58 AM

Thank you. I removed the 'Everyone' group from the Permissions page, that's stopped the other system from being able to freely access the folder, but it does pop up saying "You do not have permission to access \\RICHARDSPC\Folder. Contact your network administrator to request access." Rather than prompting for a user/password?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

I take it you're in a workgroup environment and not a domain environment.  This is a messy way to do any kind of sharing.  The easiest way is to make an account on your computer to access the share and give that information to the people who need it.  The alternative is to create user accounts on your machine with the same name and password as the machine connecting.

How are people attempting to connect to the share?

When you removed Everyone did you add other users?  If you don't have access then you are denied.

#5 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

No this is a strictly at home environment, would a homegroup be benefitial to use in this case? The idea is to have a render-farm setup, each computer has a RenderSlave user account which has full access to the project folders on the master machine, but the other regular users on those pcs won't have access to that folder.

To connect to the share I'm just going into Network in explorer, selecting the master computer, then opening the project folder that is shared. What I'm confused about is why access is denied entirely, rather than prompting for a username/password as i've had working in the past? I thought maybe because the machine I'm testing it on had the same username as an admin on the master system, so i changed the name of that user but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Yeah I removed everyone from the share when I got the permission denied message.

I'll give what you recommended a go and create a local user with the same name as the RenderSlave users on the other systems and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

#6 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:42 AM

Right I think i've narrowed down what's happening, thankyou for your suggestion about the usernames. After renaming the user account on the laptop, it's sort of half using it. The user has been renamed, but when accessing the network it still uses its old name!

I experimented with the default account on one of the laptops:

On the master pc is an admin called Cloud

On the slave laptop pc is also an admin called Cloud.

I renamed Cloud to LaptopTest and rebooted, but when accessing the master pc, it still has the same permissions as Cloud. Any permissions i set for Cloud specifically, the laptop ends up using still. However if i create a brand new user account on the laptop, it accesses the master pc using that specific user accounts name. So i had to delete my RenderSlave user (which previously had a different name), and remake it for the change to actually take effect. Now when I'm setting permissions for the RenderSlave user it's actually working :D

Edited by draqen4, 14 October 2017 - 12:45 AM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Odds are the reason that it still works after changing the account name is that it is using cached credentials.

Sounds like everything is working for you.  Network sharing is a powerful ability, but can be difficult to get working as you expect it.  I'm sure I could spend at least eight hours explaining network shares and rights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users