Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Like Cortana? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:48 PM

I've only ever heard the privacy complaints from people who don't use Cortana for that reason.

For those of you who do like it, please tell me why and how you use it.

I'm getting a new laptop with W10 for work and I'd like to to hear a different side of user experience.

The one thing in W10 I'm absolutely incurious about, and will get rid of immediately, is that dreadful Start menu mosaic of ads. Heh, could I tell Cortana to switch it to the Win 7 Start Menu?

Thanks for any positive stories of experience regarding Cortana!

Also, please just don't post if you want to warn me about the privacy violations. I get it. I still want to hear other user experiences, if there are any.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

The new format or appearance to the Start Menu should be no big problem.  Whatever the differences, you will become accustomed to it.  Do not worry.

I also dislike Cortana.  Best to turn it off if you know how or can figure out how.  When I put in a term or file or something to search for ON MY COMPUTER, I do not want a mess of other things to interfere.  I was considering a software alternative for SEARCH on my computer -  forgot the name of one of the best of them --- FindMyFiles or Nirish or something; and another called "Everything"?    Anyway, learn to organize your files with well chosen directory structures so you might just poke your way through File Explorer to find the folders and files you want.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

I love Cortana and use it once in a while, maybe a few times a day. It helps for different things.

If you do not like the look of Windows 10 start menu just install Classic Shell, your start menu will look and behave just like Windows 7. Please donate.

http://www.classicshell.net/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

Windows 10 is quite different in presentation to Windows 7.

The tiled start menu is an example.

You could/will get use to it but the question is should you need to?

On the plus side I believe 10 is somewhat more robust than 7, & less likely to become corrupted, but that's my limited experience only.

MS is good at imposing unnecessary changes to OS's that function well & less good at strengthening inherent weaknesses.

As for Cortana, IMHO it is useless, & inferior to Mac's Siri, which is also of little practical use.

Overall I'd recommend you upgrade to Win 10 but seek advice about setup from a few tech experts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users