Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most of my excel programs have become read only.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hello Folks,

Windows 10 64bit, Office Pro 2000

A few weeks ago I noticed that my excel spreadsheets have become read only and I can't change that. Currently I only work with one xls file.

Today I noticed that the xls files on my c: drive are read only when I open them while the few on my d: drive are not.

The only excel file that I currently work with in on C:/Users/Harry/Documents/, and when I open it it says read only after the name at the top.

The file itself attribute in not read only but, the properties for Documents, Harry, and Users, all have a little square in the read only attribute box. I can clear the box but when I check them again, the little box is back.

A week or so ago I read something about not being the 'Owner' and that seemed like it may be the problem, but I was unable to change that.

Harry

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

That is really funny, I did not know that Office 2000 even worked in Windows 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2000

I was aware that Windows 10 supported Office 2007 and newer, but I am very surprised that you can use Office 2000 with Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hello Rocky,

Yes, it works. I don't know that much about it but, over the years I remember an occasional popup asking if I wanted to install such and such to keep Office Word compatible. Compatible to some extent anyway, so that I could read files produced on more recent versions. I mainly use word, and now have only one excel spreadsheet that I use. It's been years since I did any messing with the other Office products.

I don't know what happened a few weeks ago.to cause most of the excel programs to become read only. The few excel workbooks? that programs have installed on my D: drive seem to be okay. I don't know if it was from a windows update, did I click on something, or perhaps one of those ransom ware attacks tried to take over my excel?

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is a problem with excel. But it could be that I accidentally/stupidly clicked on something in excel to cause this. It is my belief that this is some setting/function of windows that has made the excel programs on C: drive read only and keeping them that way. And of course, I may have accidentally done this myself.

I did read something about someone trying to help solve a similar problem and saying that the user may not have ownership of the file, program, or folder. I tried to follow the instructions to get ownership, but I don't think I did it right.

Harry

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

You need to consider the fact that you may have finally reached the point of "works no more" because of changes in Windows 10.

Were I you I would download an alternative office suite.  LibreOffice, Open Office, WPS Office Free, or SoftMaker Free Office (to name a few) are all currently supported office suites that can open any of the known file types related to current and earlier versions of MS-Office.

You may find that they don't have the same problem.

Another alternative is to do a "save as" on the files that are protected to see if that results in the "read only" attribute being removed.  I have seen that work, and I don't know why it works, but it's easy to test.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'm going fishing.  :thumbup2:  I will get back later this evening. Thanks.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

Odd to go fish in the late afternoon. Better fishing in the morning.

You should try LibreOffice, it just might fix your issues. A Windows 10 update might have ruined any compatibility that you had.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 11 October 2017 - 05:51 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users