Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Keylogger in Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

I had posted a few days earlier after FF 56.0 installed on my Win 7 Ultimate desktop (home built Asus Sabertooth Z77).  Symptoms were slow response of mouse movement while in FF, delayed display of typed characters in FF, and very slow page display.  I initially thought it was 56.0 and rolled back to 55.0.3 which was working fine.  No luck.  Now 55.0.3 was showing same symptoms.  Uninstalled all versions of FF and re-installed FF 56.0 with a new profile.  Problem seemed resolved but reappeared next day after 56.0.1 update.  Am using IE 11 to write this and am not experiencing any lag.

Initially using FF, I brought up task manager and found two Firefox.exe's running.  Killed one and it didn't kill my FF session.  Also noted that FF is using 12-15% CPU and a good chunk of RAM.  Now I'm pretty much convinced I have something on this machine that I do not want.  FYI, I have a Win 10 laptop running FF 56.0 with no performance issues at all.  Both are 64bit installs.

TIA,

AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

As a follow-up, I have rolled back again to 55.0.3 with a new profile and no additional add-ons.  Initially seemed stable but even this page spikes to 14% CPU.  I have noticed two events since that are worrisome.

I received a Windows Firewall pop-up alert that informed me that an inbound connection attempt fo Firefox.exe has been blocked.  Looking at the FW event logs, there appear to be continuous events logging changes to Firefox.exe (blocking or allowing inbound), as well as changes to network adapter modes between none, private, public, and pop-ups not allowed to be shown by services lsass.exe.  Never seen a FW pop-up before.

At times  CNTL-ALT-DEL does not bring up the selection window after FF has been opened.  It currently does not function as I am typing this so I can not bring up task manager.  I tried to add to this thread a few minutes ago and even after terminating the FF session by exiting FF prior to finishing, CNTL-ALT-DEL would do nothing until I re-booted the machine. 

Have scanned using MalwareBytes and Webroot with nothing found.

Dual boot machine with Mint 18.1 and FF 56.0 and no issues on the Linux side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users