Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any recommended HDD enclosure for data recovery?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a decent economical hard drive enclosure for laptop and desktop hard drives data recovery for bpth pc and mac hard drives please? I went here but so many different devices, not sure which one to choose, help please?

https://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

I would go with a USB adapter. If you have USB 3 then look at this Vantec. Comes with a power adapter for 3.5 drives

http://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=90&p_name=IDE/SATA

If you stick to USB 2 ebay sells a fairly cheap one for IDE/SATA, 2.5 and 3.5 drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971

Using this you avoid the need to put a drive in an enclosure and also the need to purchase an IDE or SATA enclosure. Also you would need a different enclosure for 2.5 and 3.5 drives.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

I already have had a Startech data transfer cable for years now: https://www.startech.com/support/USB2SATAIDGB

I can remember in one of my past threads someone had recommended an enclosure so I was thinking an enclosure would be better to use that the transfer cable, is there any need for me to get an enclosure then?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

No need to get an enclosure if you already have the Startech. 

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

ok thanks, a lot of people had made a hoopla about enclosures so I had always thought it offered some better advantages.

One more thing please, I want to buy Easeus and I am seeing a lot of previous versions online for a cheaper price, I think the latest version is 11 so would buying say a version 9 be ok?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

I am not sure what the exact difference between versions is. Possibly a better recovery algorithm? 

Here is the version history for what Easeus says is the differences.

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/history.htm

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

Well, that pretty much covers it, that getting the latest version would be best option, a little expensive but.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

PhotoRec can do recovery for free along with Testdisk but when recovering data with PhotoRec the files are recovered in real time and also the files recovered have generic names with the correct extensions. The files would need to be renamed.

Recuva is also free and file names are recovered but I don't know how well it can recover a damaged file system.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

Thanks but I will get the latest version of Easeus to not have any issues.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

I have never understood the reasoning behind getting drive enclosures for temporary use like file recovery.

A HDD placed on a clean sheet of paper, with another placed on top of it if you want to be really anal-retentive, and not moved (or gently lifted and placed elsewhere) when in action works just fine.  An enclosure gains you nothing for short term use like data recovery but I would want one were I taking what had been an internal drive and "converting" it to an external drive for long term recurring use.

I can't count the number of drives I've done either data transfers or recoveries from that I connected with the USB cable and placed on the table next to the machine that was processing them.  Never has an issue related to that technique occurred.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I can't count the number of drives I've done either data transfers or recoveries from that I connected with the USB cable and placed on the table next to the machine that was processing them.  Never has an issue related to that technique occurred.

That's what I have always done. I had thought maybe the HDD enclosure would give a better chance to read problem disks which is why I was looking into it. I both the full version of Easeus last night, their support had said I can install on a windows machine and it will work for both pc and mac formatted disks so I will continue to connect both type drives with my Startech cables.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

I'm with britechguy, adapters or docks for data recovery.  Enclosures for long term use, although with the M2 drives it seems like you're stuck with an enclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users