Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook, No Power.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 missle

missle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

Hello all,

SPECS:
Gateway 7422GX.
Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon 64-bit 3400 2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
BIOS -> Phoenix

Last week I was at school doing some work running on battery mode. Before I left, I put it in standby mode and when I got home it had shut down. I pushed the power button and nothing happened. I took out the battery and plugged in the power cord. Still no power. I tried several outlets, receded the memory, and let it sit for several hours and still no. The currenty battery is only 4 weeks old. I also tried the old battery with no luck. No power meaning no charge light, no fans or HD running.

I took it to Geek squad and they had a universal connector which did not work, ruling out the power cord. I took it to several PC repair shops and they told me they can not diagnose it without it being able to power up. They have also told me the first thing to replace would be the power connector. At least $160.

From what I've described, what are the chances that replacing the power connector would fix the power problem? One reason I think its not the power connector is the battery had a 75% charge before I put it in standby mode when I shut down.

How do you diagnose a problem like this? I'm limiting myself to $350 to fix this problem. More than that, and I'll buy a new laptop. Should I buy a new power cord from Gateway to be sure I don't have a defective power cord?

Any help or suggestions diagnosing this problem would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Try to borrow a volt meter which can measure whether electricity is being conducted by the power cord and whether the battery is dead or not.

If you can't borrow one you should be able to buy a cheap one at Radio Shack or somewhere similar for a few dollars.
Such as this one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family

Unfortunately if the power cord is good it sounds like your power supply/electric converter (or if you are lucky, maybe just the on switch).

Look up the price of those parts at the manufacturer's site and you can get an idea of the possible repair cost.

I have heard that the "Geek Squad" is very expensive and you may do better taking it to whatever local shop has a good reputation or one of those in your area that represent the manufacturer for warranty repairs, not that yours is in warranty but that would imply some degree of legitimacy to the shop.

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:33 AM

Well let's see, you said you have taken it to many shops who test for these things, ok first off, if it were the battery then you would be able to boot it with just a power cord, thus we eliminated both the cord and the battery. Since you left the computer on... I'm actually going to have to say there's a possibility it overheated. If the motherboard is toast, then nothing will work. Of course, you could ask a technician if he could check the motherboard for you, but this seems to be one of the most logical places to jump to first.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:41 AM

The Geek Squad are rank amateurs who don't know a byte from a hole in the ground, at least that's been my experience. Find a good local shop like Enthusiast said.

Famous Quotes from the Geek Squad (I swear it's true):

"I think it's broken."
"Let me call tech support."
"Why not just buy a new one?"
"The internet must have crashed."
"Skuzzi?" (SCSI)

And, if they're really perplexed, the standard answer:

"You need more RAM."

I regret any offense to any good Geek Squaders out there.

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:57 AM

Oh no believe me, i've bested the geeksquad more than once and i've charged at most half, just ironic that they don't want to hire me I suppose...

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

T'aint hard to beat the Geek Squad - but you've gotta realize where their emphasis is.

Their emphasis is on fixing the problem quickly or elevating it elsewheere (sorta like a mini-subset of Enterprise management). They can't afford to spend a lot of time troubleshooting, plus there's only certain things that they're certified to do without elevating it (sorta like a mobile Tier 1 support call center).

FYI - Tier 1 support is that person that you get on the phone when you first call Tech Support - the one who reads to you from a script and can't do anything else to help you - except refer you to someone else.

Given that, and the constraints that their bosses put on them (things like giving them only so much time on a call, restricting what they can and cannot do, how many calls they must do each day, average $'s made per call, etc) - I can't see that I'd be able to do a whole bunch better than they do (but my ego says differently!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users