Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Moaning About Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ear

ear

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Same issue with KB4038777, KB4038803 (optional) and error code 80073701: I ran the Troubleshooter and it fixed: Service registration is missing or corrupt; Problems installing recent updates (listed twice). However, "Not Fixed" was Windows Update error 0x80070005(2017-10-06-T-09_01_32A).

I then ran and installed the Update Readiness Tool. It installed a Hotfix for Windows KB947821.

What should I do next? Try and install the Windows Update or another repair step? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

I saw on my "start" button if I were to shut down an update would be installed. So I shut down and waited a minute before restarting. When the new start-up was finished, I checked my windows update and it failed - again. Ugh! I re-ran the troubleshooter and this time I rec'd the following:

Service registration is missing or corrupt - Fixed

Problems installing recent updates (listed twice) - Both were Fixed.

Not Fixed was: Windows Update error 0x80070005(2017-10-06-T-02_22_31P)

Where do I go from here? Apparently the Update Readiness Tool and it's HotFix that I installed in my previous post didn't solve anything and neither did the Troubleshooter.

#3 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

I found out this error code I've been receiving (Windows Update error 0x80070005) is essentially "Access Denied" I don't have the permissions to install. 

From Microsoft Support:

Error code 0x80070005 is also known as "ACCESS DENIED." It usually occurs when you lack file or registry permissions that are required to install the update. (Because file or registry permissions may be changed by malware, we recommend that you scan for malware after you repair the permissions.)

Microsoft recommends running the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions. I did run the tool and it made 8 fixes. I am now running the Microsoft Safety Scanner as they recommend to check for malware. After it is finished I'll try an update.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

Sounds like you are making good progress!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

No progress at all! After a 3 1/2 hour scan by Microsoft's Safety Scanner (which found nothing), I tried to install KB4038777 and it failed. I re-ran the trouble shooter and same results:

Service registration is missing or corrupt - Fixed

Problems installing recent updates (listed twice) - Both were Fixed.

Not Fixed was: Windows Update error 0x80070005(2017-10-06-T-07_13_59P) This is exactly the same error as before with a different time stamp.

So, after running the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions and the Safety Scan (which found nothing) I still can't update with KB4038777.

Help?!?!?

#6 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

I tried a manual install of KB4038777. Didn't think it would work and it didn't.  Any ideas are appreciated.

#7 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

Crickets...chirp, chirp...can anyone help? :)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

Why don't you guys run sfc /scannow and DISM

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

I ran sfc /scannow. The answer was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. I will look into DISM. Thanks for the idea.

#10 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Safemode wouldn't allow me to manually install update.

Re-started computer after Safemore, disabled Avast Antivirus permanently. Shut down. Then reboot computer.

Ran Microsoft Update Troubleshooter. While running troubleshooter encountered "Compressed files not found (read only)" clicked cancel and it continued. At the end of Troubleshooter everything was fixed - even Update Error 0x8007005!

Ran a manual install immediately, and it ran for about 4 minutes - I was getting excited...but it failed.

Re-ran Troubleshooter and Not Fixed: Update Error 0x8007005...

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

I ran sfc /scannow. The answer was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. I will look into DISM. Thanks for the idea.

When you run DISM make sure you are connected to the Internet.

O, FWIW this is not your Thread, and is surely going to become confusing to help Two people at the same time.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

It appears DISM is for Windows 8 or 10. "You shouldn’t normally have to run the DISM command. However, if the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command—or System Update Readiness Tool in Windows 7—can sometimes fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly."

I ran the "Update Readiness Tool" and then tried a manual install for KB4038777...it failed! Ugh.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Topic created by me for member hijacking topic at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/657992/windows-update-w7.

Louis

#14 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Finished!!!!

1. Turned off "check for windows update."

2. Ran Disk Cleanup.

3. Reboot computer.

4. Turned off anitvirus and windows firewall.

5. manually installed KB4038777. It installed!

6. Reboot computer.

7. Turned on check for Windows updates.

8. 6 new updates - all installed.

9. Reboot computer.

10. Ran Disk Cleanup.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

FWIW:  There are various variations for the steps necessary to overcome the Win 7 update situations that many of us have encountered.  The key thing is to not get frustrated and try any number of variations of the steps suggested by many.

Good job!

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users