Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer going crazy. Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jslim777

jslim777

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:15 AM

Hello, I have a Dell precision m4500 laptop that's been acting crazy for the last couple days. I was having issues with speed and a flickering screen when my fan started malfunctioning. At first I thought it could be because my registry was a bit too full so I used cleaner. Didn't change anything on speed and flickering issue and lost my Firefox history so tried to do a system restore to try to retrieve it. Wasn't able to do it after a couple times and shortly after another try, fan completely gave out. Got fan replaced and installed and everything seemed to be working fine for a few days but now since yesterday my computer is refreshing my tabs for no reason, closing my browsers, keeps on making the windows exclamation sound, beeps like crazy at the reboot etc. My laptop has become unusable at this point. Is this a virus and should combo fix this mofo? Program issue? Hardware issue? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stavros3000

stavros3000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

Is there anything being logged in the event viewer?

Are any of your system resources at 100%?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd (admin) in the Run box, then press Enter, this will open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste cmd (admin), click/tap on OK.

Copy and paste winver in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  This will display the current version of Windows 10 you are running, post this information in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 toes1949

toes1949

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hello:

Bleeping Tree Hugger gave you a wonderful response.  The only thing I would add is: could this be a power supply problem?  I can't tell you how often I've seen this to be the problem when multiple things go wrong and your laptop is acting strangely.  Do everything Bleeping Tree Hugger suggested first!  Best of Luck to You.

#5 jslim777

jslim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

Hi Guys,

thanks for the info. So I did the scannow and when it was done, it said it did not find any integrity issues. 

Here is the link for speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hBMYUAmhuHSFTPXJ6SkM2S3

As for the windows version, here it is with the command prompt scannow results on screen https://www.dropbox.com/s/emqovw68dttg2nu/2017-10-11%20%281%29.png?dl=0

Everything seems normal and also my computer updated windows on it's own last night and I started using this laptop for about an hour and a half since last night and the bugs are gone. Fingers crossed that it will remain that way. Any anti malwares besides Malwarebytes that could find issues? Any clue what the issue could be? Thanks again for your input!

#6 jslim777

jslim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

Well after 2 hours, computer is going crazy again... Browser opening and closing with Windows exclamation sound going off randomly again. Hope we can find a solution.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:36 AM

Hi, first thing to do is stop running third party utils trying to fix this, you are only making things worse. Avast has added a real time protector (aswidsagenta.exe) and lately it has been causing problems conflicting with windows updates (security).

You also have traces of McAfee on your machine, if your version of Avast has a firewall then windows firewall is also active. My advice would be to uninstall both McAfee and Avast, you will need to google for their uninstall utils, it is the only way to be properly rid of them. Use windows defender and windows firewall, you receive the same, if not superior protection and none of the compatibility issues. It is your decision.

I would run a clean boot to see if the problem could be identified (you should also look at event viewer)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

You can download the McAfee uninstall tool here.

You can download the AVAST! uninstall tool here.

I agree, you should do a Clean Boot to see if it can find the Service which is causing this problem.  I've posted instructions which you may find more palatable compared to Microsoft's instructions.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 829 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hi, not sure about your budget however you have slightly miss matched ram, both are samsung however the 4gb stick has a lower speed then the 8gb. Now whilst the MB should be able to handle this, changes to windows creators update include new ways to handle memory, including memory compression, now this is complicated and our research has indicated that 10 prefers matched ram. I would try with only the 8gb stick OR add an identical 8gb stick as this has the superior speed.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

@jenae

I'm not sure where you are seeing the specs for their RAM, but the specs shown in the Speccy show the two modules to be exactly the same.

Slot #1
Type: DDR3
Size: 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer: Samsung
Max Bandwidth: PC3-8500F (533 MHz)
Part Number: M471B5273CH0-CF8
Serial Number: 1997061526
Week/year:
16 / 10

Slot #2
DDR3
Size: 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer: Samsung
Max Bandwidth: PC3-8500F (533 MHz)
Part Number: M471B5273CH0-CF8
Serial Number: 1997061151
Week/year: 16 / 10

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 829 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hi, I am glad you noticed this, I have a Heart condition and dictate many of my responses, I have a full time secretary and she posts on the forums for me, never made this mistake before, it was meant for a totally different thread, so to the OP please ignore the post # 9.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users